What's new

Fire Cured the New Maduro?

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
Here's something that I found relating to fire cured tobacco with a different cigar brand:
"Black features a leaf of fire-cured tobacco, seldom used in the cigar business. (Almost all cigar tobaccos are air cured.) 'I have never smelled anything like this,' said Leccia. 'We ended up using half a leaf in the blend…. It’s dark fired, it’s wood cured, which gives it that smoky aroma—it’s incredible. I don’t think it adds too much but it ties it all together.'"

Here's a link to the entire article: http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/17003

I just did a google search to find it. I'm going to check out halfwheel for similar information.

sonarman

Hey Skimmer!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Here is another video explaining the process, its around the 4:50 mark.

[video=vimeo;54299869]http://vimeo.com/54299869[/video]

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
Here's a link to the MUWAT Kentucky Fire Cured:
http://www.halfwheel.com/press-release-drew-estate-unveils-kentucky-fire-cured-line-extension-uzi-weighs-ton/

Available in three sizes: 6 x 52 “Just a Friend”, 5 x 56 “Fat Molly” and a 4 x 46 “Chunky” in the familiar MUWAT craft paper bundle.

Here's an image:

Interesting stuff... in the article it states "experimenting with using the fire cured leaf in the wrapper leaf position as well as using limited amounts as part of the filler"... In case you don't want to read it yourself. I'm not sure what was done in the actual release. Then, at the end of the article it states "[in] addition to the fire cured tobaccos of Kentucky and Dark Fire Cured of Virginia, we are finishing the two year project of our fire cured tobaccos from another country which DE will not disclose until a time closer to the actual release of the brand. I’ll just say this: they don’t speak English, Italian or Spanish in this region of the world."

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Fire Cured is a legit tobacco. We have to see where this ends up. I understand Craig Macs point, but experimenting with new and old tobacco is not something to say is good or bad. Its an experiment that we have put a lot of time into. We have still not perfected it, trust me.

Damn, Mac is tough - but we still love him.
Dizz
I typed out a long response/rant on some other shit, but decided to keep it simple. I'll give the new MUWAT a go when they come around. I know Nick will bring some game changing shit to the table like always. It may or may not be for me, but I know DE is always at the front of innovation in the industry, it's the ones in the back that get me.
So its a gimmick if someone other than JD does fire cured tobacco?

I don't really think of NUb cigars as a gimmick either. Just a short cigar. Otherwise, a Petit Cazador Reserva is a gimmick as it is the same length, but smaller ring gauge.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Fire Cured is a legit tobacco. We have to see where this ends up. I understand Craig Macs point, but experimenting with new and old tobacco is not something to say is good or bad. Its an experiment that we have put a lot of time into. We have still not perfected it, trust me.

Dizz
I typed out a long response/rant on some other shit, but decided to keep it simple. I'll give the new MUWAT a go when they come around. I know Nick will bring some game changing shit to the table like always. It may or may not be for me, but I know DE is always at the front of innovation in the industry, it's the ones in the back that get me.

I don't really think of NUb cigars as a gimmick either. Just a short cigar. Otherwise, a Petit Cazador Reserva is a gimmick as it is the same length, but smaller ring gauge.
I am not saying it is a gimmick using the tobacco. But some would say Sam made his name using gimmicks. I am sure it will be an interesting flavor. I have smoked cigars with fired cured tobacco and to me it just tasted like a relit cigar the entire time. Plus, I am not a fan of Latikia anyway.
There is my reply from earlier in the thread

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0

Dizz

I am not saying it is a gimmick using the tobacco. But some would say Sam made his name using gimmicks. I am sure it will be an interesting flavor. I have smoked cigars with fired cured tobacco and to me it just tasted like a relit cigar the entire time. Plus, I am not a fan of Latikia anyway.
There is my reply from earlier in the thread
And from even earlier in the thread:
I hope it's a fad. Leave the fire cured stuff for the dippers and pipe guys. There is already enough nicotine in most Nicaraguan tobacco, why do you need more by adding fire cured tobacco to a blend?

It seems like Sam is trying to come up with the next Cain or Nub and get a few year run out of a hot new thing. Just make a good cigar and you won't need the gimmicks.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Right, good cigars don't need gimmicks. that was my comment. The "gimmick" people felt that was tied to NUB was it was "the sweet spot" when lit, the "gimmick" tied to Cain was it was "straight ligero" when it was mostly ligero. I also said this cigar wouldn't likely be for me.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sounds like it's at least worth a try. Perhaps it might just end up catering to a niche market like flavored infused cigars seem to do, but if it brings together new, good flavors then I see no reason to complain.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I used a little KY fire cured as filler to create my custom blend while on the BOTL safari in Feb. I tried my first stick a couple days ago after allowing them to sit for almost 2 months. I thought it tasted pretty darn good and could definitely pick up some hickory smoke taste. I'll definitely try the MUWAT KFCs in the 5 x 56 size when they are released.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0

Dizz

View attachment 30139
Hey Drew...Curious to know if this would lead to tongue bite like you get from alot of pipe tobacco. I'm really looking forward to the "White Lable". Any concern with the bite?