What's new

Firefighter Thread

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
So I am going to join my local Fire Department. I feel like I don't give back to the community enough and feel this will.

I know our resident Headbanger :guitar: is a firefighter. Anyone else?

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I was a volunteer for 7 years, then I moved and the little village I went to didn't need any volunteers at the time. So I've been out of it now for 11 years. It was a lot of fun, for me the commorodity (sp, I spelled it so bad, FireFox couldn't even come up with the right spelling) of going back to the garage to clean trucks with all the guys was the best, the fireman's picnic was awesome, those were the best times.

Broadway Joe

Formerly Havana Joe
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Congrats Tom, that's great! I'm not a volunteer but a few of my friends volunteer at local fire depts and they wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Good luck! Keep us in the loop...

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
If you get to go to Dover, DE for training, be carefull in the Smoke house. Don't go through with anyone from Canada!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome to the family. I've been a volunteer firefighter for twenty two years. You'll find it can be a rewarding past time, not only from helping people in their time of need, but the brotherhood that exisits in the fire service. The best advice I can give is to take as much training as you can, there is no such thing as too much training.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I fight a fire at least 3 times a week. They are mostly controlled burns that tend to be extinguished in a hour or less.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I have been helping for decades already ... by using common sense, being safe and not starting fires in the first place.

I applaud your sense of community Tom and wish you well.

Klusterbuck

Corrupted At An Early Age
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'm actually just over half done with my Firefighter 1 & 2 certification. Not actually on a dept. yet, but will be soon.

And yes, most firefighters are volunteer, around here anyway.

I was asked to take the class by my employer, and now I've got a local dept. trying to get me to fill out an application. I will, just haven't yet.

I'm loving it so far.... last saturday we were bailing out of a second floor window in full gear headfirst onto a ladder.....

Last night we completely destroyed 4 vehicles practicing extrication..... GOD this is fun...

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Nice Tom! Very cool move.
As for other firefighters, I almost have this weird feeling in the back of my head that Brad was one sometime????
I'm pretty drunk, maybe I'm just thinking it, but I could have sworn he said he was one once.
Anyway, one of the best things you can do. Very cool.

TYLER