What's new

First box purchase...help needed.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
First off, if this should be in another forum could one of you supermods move it for me? Edit: Thanks, I wasn't sure which one to put it in.

I just got permission from the wife to spend $600 on a few boxes. :smt050

The problem here is that these will be my first Habano box purchase that is all for myself and I need a little help figuring out what I should get. I have quite a few reliable sources already, I need more help with the type of cigars.

To date I have smoked:
BBF
Boli PC
Cohiba Siglo Series- Have only had Siglos
HdM Epi #2
HdM Hoyo du Prince
H. Uppman Mag 46
H. Uppman Super Corona
Monte 2
Monte 4
Party Short
Partagas Corona
Por Laranage PC
PSD#4
Punch RS #12
Punch SS #2
Punch Punch
Punch Corona
Punch del Punch
RASS
RyJ Ex #4
SCdH Principe
Trinidad Reyes

I'm thinking that I should be able to get three to four boxes with a couple 50 cabs in there. Maybe one gran corona, one PC, one robusto, and one perla. I really like the moderately strong smokes with a real creamy sweetness up front and a little spice, like nutmeg, in the background.

Of those listed I have really enjoyed the Mag 46, Siglo III and IV, and thePunch RS #12. The biggest conundrum is that I want smokes that are good fresh and I will enjoy for a while. Any help is appreciated with a little reward for whomever helps the most. I am only posting this here at BOTL because you all are "true" brothers.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Hmmmm...wish I had this problem bro! ;)

I've heard that the Mag46 and RASS are both excellent fresh. I know you don't have the RASS listed, but seems to be one of the "standards". I don't know about how the RyJ #4 smokes fresh, but from the aged one I had from Jerry this is my favorite smoke yet.

Good luck and congrats!

GuyMcBeerdrinker

poonsmith
Rating - 90%
20   2   1
todd, those are some nice cigars you got notched on your bed post.

I would recommend you look into carton packs to expand your horizons and also stretch your dollars.

getting a cab will take out a serious chunk of your budget. best to spread it out a little and try to get as many different cigars/boxes as possible. and later one when you have narrowed down your favorites buy cabs for aging.

here are some suggestions that are close to the flavor profile you seek:
cohiba robusto 15-pack
hdm petit robusto 15-pack

and to make your first purchases special you should spurge on either a seleccion robusto or piramide box :smt077

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
GuyMcBeerdrinker said:
I would recommend you look into carton packs to expand your horizons and also stretch your dollars.
Carton packs? What are these? I've only ever seen boxes, 5'ers or singles offered. (only sources I've looked at have been the CW advertisers)

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Keeping in mind the flavor profile you prefer and good young, how about:
1 Box SLR A
1 Box RyJ #4
1 Box Boli CJ
I Cab Party Shorts
A few bucks on either side of $600.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
todd, I would vote for a box of partagas serie d no. 4, and monte 2, the 04 of these two are great, maybe some party shorts as well, and the trinidad reyes are excellent as well. have fun and enjoy them!!

dmoby

Boli Whore
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For the tastes that you are looking for I would get some Boli CG, Boli CE and Party Shorts. All of these are fantastic, especially the Boli CG.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Thanks to Coastalwader and Guy, now I can't decide if I want to go with boxes or fivepacks/samplers. Right now for boxes I'm looking at:
Mag 46
PLPC (with a split in the future)
RyJ #4
RASCC

All four for $600 on the dot, after the split. The only one I have not had is the RASCC.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Here is what the sampler would look like:

PC Sampler-
5 Montecristo No 4
5 Diplomaticos No. 4
5 Punch Royal Selection No 12
5 Romeo y Julieta Petit Corona
5 Cohiba Siglo II

Tres PC-
5 Cohiba Siglo I
5 San Cristobal El Principe
5 Ramon Allones Small Club
5 Montecristo No. 5
5 Diplomaticos No.5

25 Mag 46 Box
25 RyJ #4 Box

All for a total of $650, I think she would get over it.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
wasch_24 said:
Here is what the sampler would look like:

PC Sampler-
5 Montecristo No 4
5 Diplomaticos No. 4
5 Punch Royal Selection No 12
5 Romeo y Julieta Petit Corona
5 Cohiba Siglo II

Tres PC-
5 Cohiba Siglo I
5 San Cristobal El Principe
5 Ramon Allones Small Club
5 Montecristo No. 5
5 Diplomaticos No.5

25 Mag 46 Box
25 RyJ #4 Box

All for a total of $650, I think she would get over it.
Very Nice Selection above!! Personally I would stay away from fresh RASS or fresh PSD4. They are both a crap shoot fresh. You could find yourself very dissapointed with them. Most of the ones list above are fine selections that you will be very happy with. Just my two cents.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Todd,
If you're going to do samplers that's great. Your lineup looks almost second to none. But, if I could offer you up some advice I would like to.
You're able right now to make the occasional purchase or boxsplit on your own without this $600 gift from the Wifey. So, I would take advantage of the fact that you have a larger sum of money to spend and get the full boxes that will often not be a reality on your mandated budget. So, if I had to give my expertise I'd go with this as your template to follow.
Around $160 for the first box
Around $200 for your second box
Around $240 for your final box

Now, just by knowing you through this site and our Group Box buy I know that you generally have the opp to smoke smaller cigars only so I'd take advantage of that. Get something that will play in your favor. Get a larger cigar that is great with age since you know you'll be holding onto it for a while. So this lineup is what I'd try for.

Cohiba Siglo I - Roughly $160 (Trust me on this, I fought the fact that Cohibas were needed in every collection. Now, I realize this to be true.)
San Cristobal La Punta - Roughly $190 (This is a great vitola that is UNDERRATED in my book. An excellent Torpedo)
Ramon Allones Gigante - Roughly $250 (A great DC that only improves the older it gets. Plus, you may be able to find a box with a few years of age on it already.)
Total: $606 from a reliable and helpful vendor that we personally have used before.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mag 46 box 25
BCG box 25
Monte 2 10-pack
SCdH El Principe box 25

Comes in around $638, gives you a wide range of size and flavors on cigars that can be smoked now or only improve with age.

If you need to stay at $600, split the El Principes anc come in $23 under. I'd split if you don't have someone else ready to do it.

Bottom line is, it's hard to go wrong.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Ok Kurt you win the prize. After thinking about it for most of the day I am going to go with three sure fire favorites, one of which is not always availble and when it is in splits it sells out too fast for me to get.

H. Uppman Magnum 46 Box of 25
Cohiba Siglo IV 5x5 (Why is this cheaper than a regular box?)
Por Laranaga Petit Corona Box of 50 (Split to occur after I receive them.)

The Corona Gordas are my favorite size to kick back and relax with on the weekends or when herfing and the PLPC's are real darn good.

Keep your eyes open for some fivers (5 or 6) of the PLPC's soon, as well as one or two of the Siglo IV's.

The rest of the money is going into lapyap for when you fine brothers do splits and 'making space' sales in the future.:smt023