What's new

First handgun...

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
My advice is to try and get to a shop with a range and try several. Different guns fit differently in people's hands, and have a different feel for different folks. Rather than take other people's advice, try some out for yourself and decide. That's what I did, and came up with the Sig Sauer P220 being the best fit for me. That being said, I also own a Glock 17....it is reliable, but I shoot better with the Sig.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
As icehog said, go to a range and try one them all out. Or talk to some friends and offer to cover the cost of ammo if you can shoot their guns. Everyone prefers different guns but you don't want to blow hundreds (or thousands) or dollars on a gun you aren't comfortable with.

Personally I carry a 4'' 1911 every where I go.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards the glock 19. I've tried a few sig's but I will definitely take your advise and go to the range my friend belongs to and shoot a few that he has

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I definitely agree that you should go fire as many pistols as you can to make sure you're comfortable with the one you want to purchase. The first gun I ever bought was a Glock 17 & it's still one of my favorites. If you do go with the G19, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that you'll be very happy with it.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
As mentioned it would be best if you could go down and rent a few different pistols and see what you like the best.

The Glock 19 would be a great choice if you like the Glock platform. With the price of ammo now days. I wish all my defensive caliber pistols were 9mm's. I also like the size, accuracy, weight, capacity and quality for the $$ that the compact Glocks offer.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you end up with.:smile:

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The Glock 19 is one of the best 9mm handguns on the market, and a great choice. But, as already stated, go try several weapons out before making a final decision.

I tried out upwards of 50 handguns before I decided on a Kimber 1911 .45 as my carry, it was what felt best in my hand, and what I felt best shooting with. You need to find the same thing out, what "feels" best to you, the most natural in other words. The last thing you want is to buy a weapon you don't feel entirely comfortable with, then make a mistake when it matters most.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can never go wrong with Glock. I have a 30, 19, and 26.. Love them all. Good hunting!

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
My second gen G19 is my favorite in my arsenal...I bought it new in 1995 and have had Zero issues...it has performed flawlessly over tens of thousands of rounds. Try and find a gun shop in your area with a range. Often times they'll have rental guns to try. Rent the G19 and others you may be considering.

One added bonus of the G19 is that you can use the G17 mag (17 rounds) and G18 mags (33 rounds) in the gun.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Personally I would. Heck out the XD line.. They are of the same quality and have a grip safety unlike the glock.. And a few other safety indicators such as a "round chambered indicator" and "firing pin cocked indicator)

I have a Xdm45 and a Xd subcompact 9.. Love them both..

Check out XD while you check out the glock.. They feel different in hand.. For me the XD fits my hand better and is more comfortable.

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I agree with Kc Jason. I use Springfield, carry an XD9. Glock makes a great gun, but for me the XD line is better fit. One drawback to SA is the lack of manufactures making accessories as compared to the glock, but it is gerring better. The palm safety on the SA was a huge plus and it reminds m of my 1911.

I agree with the other's advice, try several out and see what fits you. Most ranges will let you rent a fun for some range time. One note,carry the subcompact 9mm, wish it was the 40...

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Just pick up the 19. They are fantastic guns, well proven over time.

You never said what your intended use is. But if you end up not liking the Glock for some reason, also look at: S&W M&P, Walther PPQ, HK P30, CZ 75, and the Steyr M9. I can't recommend any of Springfield's polymer guns.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Yep. Just pick up the Glock then. Especially since you can find police trade in Gen 3s for almost nothing. Spend the rest on training, then ammo, and then a good light(s)