What's new

First time firing a pistol..... beginners luck?

Rating - 100%
160   0   0

So went to an intro to shooting class, I surprised myself how well I did. I do pull low and left but figure practice can fix that. The center shots where taken with glock 17, federal target ammo @ 15 ft. The other shots taken with a Ruger GP 100 chambered in 357 but I was firing 38 special. @15 feet.

Hopefully I can improve and just not a case of beginners luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice shooting. Shooting is a skill that has to be honed and practiced often or it will go away. Keep it up and you'll be shooting that good at 25 yards or farther!

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Low/left is very common. But, definitely not beginner's luck. Bad habits are learned, not inherent. Keep pressing that trigger without disturbing the sights, and you won't ever pick up the bad habits. Keep up the good work (y)

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I've had a lot of luck using this to make corrections I wasn't even aware of.. Handy little target when getting started with a new piece or in your case, pistols in general.. Good shooting for a beginner though.. and GREAT choice of pieces too. I loved the GP 100 I had, regret selling it..

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I've had a lot of luck using this to make corrections I wasn't even aware of.. Handy little target when getting started with a new piece or in your case, pistols in general.. Good shooting for a beginner though.. and GREAT choice of pieces too. I loved the GP 100 I had, regret selling it..
definitely picking up a couple of these. so I know what to work on
Very nice! What intro class did you take?
It was a introduction to firearms and safety class 2.5 hr classroom 1.5 on the range.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
definitely picking up a couple of these. so I know what to work on

It was a introduction to firearms and safety class 2.5 hr classroom 1.5 on the range.

You can print those targets here: http://www.persecusa.com/html/free/freestuff-targets.htm
I print off a few each time I go to the range and start and end with them. I start to correct what I have forgotten and I end to see if I have improved.
Also... these are guides and are not always 100%. Working with a trainer, range time and practice, practice and more practice is all encouraged and fun as hell.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
You can print those targets here: http://www.persecusa.com/html/free/freestuff-targets.htm
I print off a few each time I go to the range and start and end with them. I start to correct what I have forgotten and I end to see if I have improved.
Also... these are guides and are not always 100%. Working with a trainer, range time and practice, practice and more practice is all encouraged and fun as hell.
Yeah nothing can replace an instructor but least have a reference of most common habits that are causing you to miss