What's new

First time Humidor owner

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased my first humidor, it is a smaller desk one fitting approx 20 cigars. I followed all instructions to season it, then later used the salt test to adjust the hygro. I have been seeing that the hygro stays at about 69% which I thought was 1% under optimal until I treaded on this site which I have been reading that 65% is ok. Now I notice that I will check it once in a while and see it at 65% and then the next day its at 50%, and this happens in less than a month since I have refilled the humi. Some of my cigars are getting dried up.

I will admit that Im a little OCD and check almost daily, is this a bad thing to do? I have been thinking it is since it would throw off the humidity. I was also wondering if I could just have a cheap humi and if it would be better to go with the heartfelt beads, I was thinking of buying the 1 ounce tube.

Other info is I live in Fl and the room I have to keep it in is approx 76 degrees give or take.

I thank you greatly in advance for your help!

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
first thing, get a piece of clean tupperware, put you cigars in there along with a Boveda or Humidipak. Now you have no worries. Your cigars can stored in the tupperware forever.

next, work on the humidor. get a sponge, dampen it with distilled water. put a plastic baggie on the floor of the humidor, put the sponge on the baggie. close the humidor for 1 week. do not open it. after 1 week, open it up and feel the sponge. if the sponge is dry, repeat the process. if the sponge is damp, then your humidor should be seasoned. check the humidity level with a calibrated digital hygrometer. if its around 70%, then add in the tube of beads.