What's new

Fitting in

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I just wanted to post up regarding events over the last few months for the "greater good" of BOTL. Recently, we have seen a lot of negative posts regarding the brotherhood we have built here. Newbs come in and want to make a mark and quickly sour when not accepted after 2-3 months, then post about it bashing the brotherhood we all have spent years to establish.

I remember when my "class" of brothers joined BOTL. We all sent bombs and spent several months and even years paying our dues before fitting in. BOTL is, and always will be, about sharing the share! If you join looking to gain any type of personal benefit you will quickly loose respect from the brotherhood.

This is a group of people who buy cigars to smoke them, if you buy cigars to sell, this ain't your site... And there are plenty of site for sellers, just not this one.

When I joined BOTL I was looking for a place as a casual smoker that I could talk cigars, I was glad to find this place and knew I had to pay my due to fit in.

Lately, it seems as soon as a member hits their 30 days they want to see what BOTL can do for them with ISO posts.... Those guys are clearly missing the point of BOTL.

In honor of JFK... "Ask not what BOTL can do for you, but what you can do for BOTL!" It may take some of the newer guys a while to meet that standard, but at that time, you will have a full understanding of what this place is about.

BOTL.org is not about the latest and greatest cigar, or buying and selling cigars, but the relationships you build with other BOTL's. The sooner you realize that, the better we will all be!

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Well said, Craig! I have been fortunate enough after just over a year and a half of being here to meet some great guys! To be honest, when I was new, even up until recently, I thought it was all about posting. I'm realizing that this brotherhood is much more than that. For me personally, I'm now more focused on community and adding substantial posts and/or humor haha.

I hope to meet a lot more brothers through posting and/or trading. I also have to thank my buddy Sean, for telling me about this awesome brotherhood that I am very grateful for!

Steve

Rating - 100%
165   0   0
I just wanted to post up regarding events over the last few months for the "greater good" of BOTL. Recently, we have seen a lot of negative posts regarding the brotherhood we have built here. Newbs come in and want to make a mark and quickly sour when not accepted after 2-3 months, then post about it bashing the brotherhood we all have spent years to establish.

I remember when my "class" of brothers joined BOTL. We all sent bombs and spent several months and even years paying our dues before fitting in. BOTL is, and always will be, about sharing the share! If you join looking to gain any type of personal benefit you will quickly loose respect from the brotherhood.

This is a group of people who buy cigars to smoke them, if you buy cigars to sell, this ain't your site... And there are plenty of site for sellers, just not this one.

When I joined BOTL I was looking for a place as a casual smoker that I could talk cigars, I was glad to find this place and knew I had to pay my due to fit in.

Lately, it seems as soon as a member hits their 30 days they want to see what BOTL can do for them with ISO posts.... Those guys are clearly missing the point of BOTL.

In honor of JFK... "Ask not what BOTL can do for you, but what you can do for BOTL!" It may take some of the newer guys a while to meet that standard, but at that time, you will have a full understanding of what this place is about.

BOTL.org is not about the latest and greatest cigar, or buying and selling cigars, but the relationships you build with other BOTL's. The sooner you realize that, the better we will all be!

+1 Good post

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Well said. I am still quite new here, but it's clear that the B in BOTL is first for a reason. The network of support and brotherhood here is pretty solid.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
I am glad to see you post this as well Craig. Besides the fact that 80% of my posts are of no value, I think I 'get it' in terms of patience, building trust and paying my dues. I haven't met more than one person face to face, but would like to change that in the future. I joined this community to first and foremost learn about cigars. I'm still a newb and have a lot to learn, but the best part is I've made some great friends along the way. I am eager to continue to create new relationships and strengthen existing ones in the future. Hardly a day goes by where I don't check BOTL.org to see what the fellas are up to and what everyone is smoking and I see no reason why I will stop going forward. BOTL for Life.

Thx guys...
That is all,

-KK33-

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Good post Craig. I am more on the side of being a FOG than noob from being here 4+ years and I would like to say that I personally believe it's okay to post a lot when you are new here. The natural thing to do when you start this cigar journey and find BOTL is to start reading, posting and interacting with the other guys here. Usually people that register around the same time are the ones that are posting a lot and become close because you are excited noobs together. Kinda like Craig saying his "class" of BOTLs. The older guys here have seen the same cycle over and over, and it's a good thing. But as Craig says, don't be offended if you can't just jump in with the people that have been here for a long time. There are many people that come and go on cigar forums, so things can just take awhile as Craig calls it fitting in.

It's a positive thing for this forum to get new members and for them to add a different personality to our group of friends. After you are here for awhile, you start to meet people at Herfs etc and that's when you truly appreciate how BOTL can be part of your life meeting life long friends.

Another thing... BOTL has been around almost 10 years. There are certain rules/etiquette in place because of past experiences learned etc... it's nothing personal.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I don't fit in anywhere and I've been a member for almost six years now. This forum membership has lasted longer than my marriage. Then again this forum isn't going to go cheat on me with a douche bag guitar player.....
Sorry, but LOL. :dunno: (in a laughing with you about that F'ing d-bag kinda way)

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
What Craig said really resonates with me. I have a core group of "classmates" met a few more great guys along my journey. What i need to do is branch out a bit more with the newer guys. Kinda hard to tell the solid guys from the trolls at first,but worth trying.

Mike

xFreebirdx

Patriot Guard Rider
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I've had the honor of meeting and hanging out with 14 brothers from this forum (so far). And most of them numerous times. I should also mention that they are from 4 different states. Even tonight 7 of us hit and raided Charlotte NC. Also just recently 13 of us got together for some meat and cigars..

Now I told you all that BS to tell you this.......... To see the 13 of us together, what a Motley Crew, from all walks of life. You wouldn't even guess that we knew each other much less have a great time together. And the times we all have together is pretty priceless. I can't even explain it except with one word BOTL. It's really a great feeling more than anything else.

brandoncpm

BoM Nov '13
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
I've had the honor of meeting and hanging out with 14 brothers from this forum (so far). And most of them numerous times. I should also mention that they are from 4 different states. Even tonight 7 of us hit and raided Charlotte NC. Also just recently 13 of us got together for some meat and cigars..

Now I told you all that BS to tell you this.......... To see the 13 of us together, what a Motley Crew, from all walks of life. You wouldn't even guess that we knew each other much less have a great time together. And the times we all have together is pretty priceless. I can't even explain it except with one word BOTL. It's really a great feeling more than anything else.
Who knew Eddie had a soft side. This is a great post Craig. I've met a lot of great people and learned a lot on here.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
To see the 13 of us together, what a Motley Crew, from all walks of life. You wouldn't even guess that we knew each other much less have a great time together. And the times we all have together is pretty priceless. I can't even explain it except with one word BOTL. It's really a great feeling more than anything else.
That's exactly it man. I love the cigar community for that reason. I can meet up with 75 bro's at a big Herf and enjoy meeting every last one of'em. I can walk into my local lounge and strike up conversation with some random dude and be like we've known each other for awhile.

I mean shit, I met Hoshy and think he's a good dude at heart, even though he posts pictures of his got damn nipple all the time. (do not do it now) Strange and fun dude and I'd sit down and enjoy a cigar with him anytime. LOL

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Thank you Craig, for so tactfully explaining the true meaning of our family. I am so thankful that many of you accepted me in and have been blown away with how much generosity the brothers have. Certainly the golden rule applies here. I only wish I could do more and have time to meet up with those of you close by. Maybe one day I can; that is my goal.