What's new

Fitting in

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I just wanted to post up regarding events over the last few months for the "greater good" of BOTL. Recently, we have seen a lot of negative posts regarding the brotherhood we have built here. Newbs come in and want to make a mark and quickly sour when not accepted after 2-3 months, then post about it bashing the brotherhood we all have spent years to establish.

I remember when my "class" of brothers joined BOTL. We all sent bombs and spent several months and even years paying our dues before fitting in. BOTL is, and always will be, about sharing the share! If you join looking to gain any type of personal benefit you will quickly loose respect from the brotherhood.

This is a group of people who buy cigars to smoke them, if you buy cigars to sell, this ain't your site... And there are plenty of site for sellers, just not this one.

When I joined BOTL I was looking for a place as a casual smoker that I could talk cigars, I was glad to find this place and knew I had to pay my due to fit in.

Lately, it seems as soon as a member hits their 30 days they want to see what BOTL can do for them with ISO posts.... Those guys are clearly missing the point of BOTL.

In honor of JFK... "Ask not what BOTL can do for you, but what you can do for BOTL!" It may take some of the newer guys a while to meet that standard, but at that time, you will have a full understanding of what this place is about.

BOTL.org is not about the latest and greatest cigar, or buying and selling cigars, but the relationships you build with other BOTL's. The sooner you realize that, the better we will all be!
Being a noob still I can very much appreciate this post. While I did make a couple of ISO posts that was not my main motivation to joining the BOTL. I was referred here because I wanted a mature place to go where like-minded brothers would talk cigars and teach me things about technique, flavor profiles, and pairings. I love this place so far. The only thing that has soured me is that my collection is not even halfway to a point where I could properly bomb the brothers on here. I feel as if what I would send would never be as good as the vets on here haha.

I thank you for taking me in and the way I was brought up I always knew that anything that is worth being a part of is worth paying the dues for.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Excellent post Craig :thumbsup:.

The only thing that has soured me is that my collection is not even halfway to a point where I could properly bomb the brothers on here. I feel as if what I would send would never be as good as the vets on here haha.
That shouldn't sour you, nor stop you from bombing someone if you wanted. Many of the vets have been in this hobby for a long time and in that time have amassed an impressive collection. Whatever your experience level or budget a bomb isn't supposed to be a status symbol. It's an act of generosity and brotherhood. Some of the best bombs I've been on the receiving end of have introduced me to good cigars that I might not have normally tried. Some of the best bombs I've seen on here and in person haven't involved cigars at all. Great bombs display a level of creativity and fun that go beyond what the bomb actually contained.

Dan

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Excellent post Craig :thumbsup:.

The only thing that has soured me is that my collection is not even halfway to a point where I could properly bomb the brothers on here. I feel as if what I would send would never be as good as the vets on here haha.
That shouldn't sour you, nor stop you from bombing someone if you wanted. Many of the vets have been in this hobby for a long time and in that time have amassed an impressive collection. Whatever your experience level or budget a bomb isn't supposed to be a status symbol. It's an act of generosity and brotherhood. Some of the best bombs I've been on the receiving end of have introduced me to good cigars that I might not have normally tried. Some of the best bombs I've seen on here and in person haven't involved cigars at all. Great bombs display a level of creativity and fun that go beyond what the bomb actually contained.

Dan
Very well put, Dan.

It's the thought, really...Not the content or value. I sent a brother a few old beer glasses because he posted up his collection, and I was about to toss the ones I sent...Win win!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not to split hairs, because I am no fan of scumbag guitar players. It's the douche bag guitar players that reek havoc on relationships.
Well said Craig, I couldn't agree more. It does take some time, but is worth the investment. I was recently the victim of the spirit of BOTL, and now all I can think about is how I will get them back. So, this place isn't about want you get, it's about what you contribute. In the end you will get plenty, but what you give is much more important.
However, I do propose a rule that we ban all scumbag guitar players. Regular guitar players are ok, but the scumbag ones have to go.

Sent from an NSA proof phone.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
What the hell have I missed lately?

I dont think its just this place right now. Been seeing alot of drama happening all around. Its the cold weather. All the trolls, profiteers, and gougers are out and about. Its the time of year. The LEs coming out and such. And with all these mysterious 2 year old packages landing its probably gonna get worse.

I dont read every thread. I dont post many ISOs. If I notice someone with an ISO of something I can share I will. I dont play in the MAW, not cuz I dont want to, I cant really fill any lists. And the ones I can I seem to be a little slow on. I fully expect to send out more than to receive. Its just the way it is. Cigars and Pipes are my hobby. The BOTL here is an added bonus to my hobby. The sending and receiving of packages are part of the hobby. The friendships made here because of this hobby are real. The cigars will come and go. The trolls will come and go. The drama will come and go. But these friends are real.

PS and hoshy nipple pics are also an added bonus.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Forget paying me dues I only signed up to get free shit! That's my only reason.. Now Send me Free Shit! LOL

All jokes aside I Joined this forum looking for guys that enjoy that same things I do.. I have a bunch of friends but we are at different points in our life. I'm married with kids and while some of them are married also all they want to do is go out and get drunk and play video games, While that was fun and some of my best memories that is behind me now. I know want to spend my time enjoying my family and the finer things in life. have meaningful convo's about stuff that matters, I joined here for camaraderie and while the PIF's and the Passes and Bombs are Hella Fun. that's the only reason. With that being said any guys in the 5 boro's and Jersey wanna get together smoke a few cigars and shoot the shit hit me up !

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
What the hell have I missed lately?

I dont think its just this place right now. Been seeing alot of drama happening all around. Its the cold weather. All the trolls, profiteers, and gougers are out and about. Its the time of year. The LEs coming out and such. And with all these mysterious 2 year old packages landing its probably gonna get worse.

I dont read every thread. I dont post many ISOs. If I notice someone with an ISO of something I can share I will. I dont play in the MAW, not cuz I dont want to, I cant really fill any lists. And the ones I can I seem to be a little slow on. I fully expect to send out more than to receive. Its just the way it is. Cigars and Pipes are my hobby. The BOTL here is an added bonus to my hobby. The sending and receiving of packages are part of the hobby. The friendships made here because of this hobby are real. The cigars will come and go. The trolls will come and go. The drama will come and go. But these friends are real.

PS and hoshy nipple pics are also an added bonus.
I have an awesome photo of hoshy getting his nip sucked by a certain drew estate rep at one of our meetings... Ahahaha and sober

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
i'll be damned, Cmac has a squishy side. o)

every single thing i have done here has been for the joy of being in a position to do it, and for the unadulterated glee i get from people's reactions. I want to share my knowledge, and my passion for this hobby, and in so doing share my world view with some very cool people. and, in that, i feel i am actually in the majority here, thankfully.

do we seem to maybe sometimes hold an unreasonably high standard? maybe, but there are plenty now or prior who have shown on this board that you CAN do that, you CAN be that guy, if you choose to. sucks when you fail at it, but you have to try, because when you DO live up to it, it is really rather cool.

viva la smokers!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well said! It is the faults sense of entitlement these people have nowadays. Earn your respect. Put some time in.

Thanks for the post!

Heath

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Well said! It is the faults sense of entitlement these people have nowadays. Earn your respect. Put some time in.

Thanks for the post!

Heath
To me that's the old school mentality that's dying rapidly these days. The "fathers" posting in this thread speak truth and wisdom seldemly found in this current time. Its warming to me to surround myself with like minded people and contribute as I can.

Thank you

Rating - 95.5%
24   1   0

Thanks for the post!

Heath

I couldn't agree more! It seems the younger generation was raised with everyone gets a trophy. To me that's B.S. To me these forums are like being the new kid at school, the more you invest in relationships the more you get out. I'm not talking about material things either. To me this forum is not about free cigars it's about relating to someone with a common interest.

On another note, just because someone looks at a kid crossed eyed that's not bullying. When I was in school a bully was a guy who whipped someone's ass everyday. Until of course you told your older brother.

Enjoy your Sunday gents and find a nice quiet place to smoke.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I don't get it. Are people looking for something specific? You read posts, you reply. What's the not fitting in part?

I dont mean to be insensitive to people with social insecurities, I just don't understand the need someone would be looking to satisfy here.

As far as bullying, I hate new guy bashing, especially when its done by the same small group. I dont see any of that here though. Certain boards have fun running off new guys. No man has to earn his respect with me, its his to lose. If someone wants to disrespect me until he seems I've earned the right not to then that's not someone I need to have anything to do with.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Great post Craig, yin and yang approved. :smile:

I have met some great guys on here for sure and formed new friendship which I see lasting a lifetime, which make smoking a good cigar even better.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I don't fit in anywhere and I've been a member for almost six years now. This forum membership has lasted longer than my marriage. Then again this forum isn't going to go cheat on me with a douche bag guitar player.....
Best post of the month. Thanks for the belly laugh :)

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
...It seems the younger generation was raised with everyone gets a trophy. To me that's B.S. To me these forums are like being the new kid at school, the more you invest in relationships the more you get out. I'm not talking about material things either...
...No man has to earn his respect with me, its his to lose....
Hear, hear! :applause: