What's new

Five good cigars for a newbie?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great high end mild is Davidoff No.1 or 2. If you don't know your palette the high end full strength smokes are a waste. The Gran Habano which is a NC (Non Cuban) comes in a 1,3 and 5 with one being the mildest and a personal favorite bargain mild. The 3 and the 5 often get a nod as a good value. Then speaking from personal experience what someone who can not get enough Opus X or DE FFP idea of what mild is and what my idea as a noob of what mild is can be worlds apart. I've seen many a mild suggest that is rated medium or even medium-full. My best experience has been to find a really good B&M and work with the owner and have them help you based on an interactive F2F conversation :ccowboy:

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I echo the sentiments of TheKidCigar, Nukie, and GP. When getting into a new hobby it's best to ease in and spend lightly since you don't know what your cup of tea is yet. The last thing you want is to overspend and have a lot of pricey sticks lying around that you just don't care for. Stick to singles and fivers, try the moderately priced smokes, then take it from there.
Hope this helps.

Josh.CHI

The Dude abides
Rating - 81.8%
10   2   0
Keep it cheap but, good:

Padron 5000
Arturo Fuente 8-5-8
Oliva Conn.
CAO Brazillia
Arturo Fuente Hemmingway - Short story

With this list you hit a variety of wrappers and regions in the world. I would suggest trying them all and then talk to some OG at your B&M and tell them what you like and what you tried and see what they suggest.

Rating - 100%
144   0   0
agree that you shouldn't waste your money on certain cigars that many of us may have when first starting off, just know that many of the cigars mentioned in the thread are fairly high end $10+ smokes. If you just want to jump right in then lots of great options mentioned! But I'd personally start off slower with some middle of the road smokes, which can also be great ones, to get a better feel for what you like. So i second Penar Del Rios (great smokes at great prices from mild-full), liga undercrown (get your feet wet for Drew Estates), arturo fuente hemingways (short story was my first box purchase), perdomos, EP Carrillo (core line even), olivas (mild-full depending on the serie mentioned above), lots of others you'll realize. Good luck on the start of you journey into the unknown! :thumbsup:

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I say start off with something easy with lots of variation. Fuente. The naturals and maduros will show you a few different characteristics of those wrapper types. Something like a Hemingway work of art and work of art maduro are easy to light, easy to smoke and are pretty easy to find.

Another one that I might be ridiculed for is the NUB line. They have Connecticut, Maduro, Habano and Cameroon versions, they're easy to smoke slowly and have lots of flavor with not much complexity...IE, they're solid cigars. With the consistency of having similar sizes from the same brand gives you a direction to go in for branching off...and they're really easy to find.

Now for something that is flavorful, cheap and easy to find; Oliva G. It's tasty and a clean smoke so it's more forgiving to new smokers.

The problem with a lot of the cigars recommended is that they may be a little complex and many might be a bit too strong and too peppery for a new smoker. It's almost like giving someone that has never drunk before a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black(just my opinion).

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I hope I didn't offend anyone by my last post, it seems like everyone stopped posting after that...I just deal with more non-regular cigar smokers on a semi-regular basis and it seems like every cigar I hand them that is one of my favorites(like the ones listed in the thread) make them sick. The last two that came to mind were an AB 1997 and a Padilla Achilles, not strong cigars by my definition but both guys were on the verge of throwing up and couldn't come close to finishing it...so something like Liga? Out of the question, they would have died.