What's new

Fixing Humidor Seal

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Some months ago I bought a Humidor from ebay...I know I know, I shouldn't have done that since now I'm paying up my stupidity. ANYHOW, I don't want to toss this humidor (even tho I'm buying a new one soon), so I've decided to research WHY it wasn't keeping humidity and how to fix that.

AAAnd, I need your help guys! I bought THIS one. I did the "flashlight" test to see where it wasn't sealing good. It is on the back side, where the hinges are (I'll upload pictures later).

How can I fix it? Any help? :)

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'm not of much help here, I'll let Ron follow up, but one thing to keep in mind: some of the "less expensive" humidors with the glass tops can also have sealing issues around the glass. So if you are still having problems once you fix the main seal issue, that may be your culprit. Never had to do it, but I would figure silicone would be an easy fix for that (again, if it is a problem). Good luck!

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I'm not of much help here, I'll let Ron follow up, but one thing to keep in mind: some of the "less expensive" humidors with the glass tops can also have sealing issues around the glass. So if you are still having problems once you fix the main seal issue, that may be your culprit. Never had to do it, but I would figure silicone would be an easy fix for that (again, if it is a problem). Good luck!
Thanks a lot! I'm going to seal that too...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Ninja, what do you mean by "food grade" silicone? Wouldn't the silicone you would pick up at a pet store be fine? If not, where do you go about getting food grade silicone?

Silly me, I thought silicone was pretty much silicone, lol.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
i think if you get it at a pet store, then most likely it's food grade (it will say on the package). There's silicone you can use for construction, ie around windows or tiling.

edit: i got my food grade silicone at home depot

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
i think if you get it at a pet store, then most likely it's food grade (it will say on the package). There's silicone you can use for construction, ie around windows or tiling.

edit: i got my food grade silicone at home depot
That I understand for the plexiglass. I should silicone it above or below?

So, I can seal the clear glass top, but near the hinges, RonC said masking tape. Again, should I put it between the cedar lining or between the humidor's body and top?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
the silicolne can be hiden by sealing the interior edge.

The masking tape build up is done on the raised "tongue" the sticks up, all the way around the lower portion of the box. You can use the "dolar bill" test to see where you may want to build it up. close the lid on the bill, and if it pulls out easily, then you need the build up there. It it is snug, then that is a good spot. You may have to only build up a few sections, you may have to go all the way around.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'm two words lost, Clint! :rofl:

That I understand for the plexiglass. I should silicone it above or below?
Either or, which ever is easiest for you. That being said, if you seal it on top you will see the silicone.

apaniagua said:
So, I can seal the clear glass top, but near the hinges, RonC said masking tape. Again, should I put it between the cedar lining or between the humidor's body and top?
Again, probably best to wait for Ron to respond, but it's hard to describe/understand what it is you are dealing with. If it were me, I would say small strips of masking tape right along the edge of where the humidor seals. The raised portion of the cedar that comes up at an angle? Does that make sense?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
the silicolne can be hiden by sealing the interior edge.

The masking tape build up is done on the raised "tongue" the sticks up, all the way around the lower portion of the box. You can use the "dolar bill" test to see where you may want to build it up. close the lid on the bill, and if it pulls out easily, then you need the build up there. It it is snug, then that is a good spot. You may have to only build up a few sections, you may have to go all the way around.
There you go, what Dave said.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
This humidor suckz...I did the dollar bill test (with dominican pesos of course) and...there just 1/4 of the humidor that seals correctly. The other 3/4 the dollar bill gets out, not that easily but gets out.

About the build up tape, I think I understand, but I see you say: "the raised tongue" apparently this humidor is the other way. The tongue comes down the lid. Watch the pic
My finger is touching the "tongue" right?

http://plixi.com/p/88690034

Last edited:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Ok I see the “tougue” on the lid. Am I right that I do not see that toungue on the back of the lid? If not, you may need some extra tape there to build up and make sure ther is not a leak. Usually where t pieces of just sit on top of each other, there is not a great seal there. I would use several pieces of tape to “build it up” all the way around, so that the tape is thicker. Also I would only build up one side, and just that “toungue” no need to put the tape on both sides. But you’ve got the idea, now it’s just getting it built up enough to seal it off.