What's new

Fixing Humidor Seal

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
question: when you close it, do you hear a "whoosh" sound?
Kinda.

Ok I see the “tougue” on the lid. Am I right that I do not see that toungue on the back of the lid? If not, you may need some extra tape there to build up and make sure ther is not a leak. Usually where t pieces of just sit on top of each other, there is not a great seal there. I would use several pieces of tape to “build it up” all the way around, so that the tape is thicker. Also I would only build up one side, and just that “toungue” no need to put the tape on both sides. But you’ve got the idea, now it’s just getting it built up enough to seal it off.
The back of the lid has the tongue. There's no humidifier inside and it's rock solid on 72%...and the outer humidity it's higher! (83%) so it's working i guess. I just need to add silicone on the plexiglass above so it's really well seal and I'll order HCM Beads.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Sounds like you've got things under control. Bit of an odd design to the "tongue", IMHO. Not used to them being so round.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Completely up to you! I can certainly see that working. Do I take it from your question that the tape isn't working out for you?

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Completely up to you! I can certainly see that working. Do I take it from your question that the tape isn't working out for you?
It doesn't stick that well to the wood...humidity is more stable. It's 70% without any humidifier inside lol...but outside humidity sometimes it's 80% and 90% and it stays 70%...and last night i turned on the A/C and room humidity was 50% or less, but humidor stayed at 69%...

JNT

The Bull
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
yea, that lip looks short, especially when you take into account the rounded edge, it would begin to loose contact almost immediately. I would see if someone who's good with woodwork can replace it with a flat edged lip

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Im thinking I have a leak in my cabinet humi my gf gave me for Christmas. Where can I get that foam tupe weatherstripping and where should I put it to try and get a good seal?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the pictures I have the same Humidor. I bought it used. And while seasing it the max I got was 70% knowing I added a sponge with distilled water, and two shooters cup filled with distilled water. I placed my cigars afterwards, and humidity always reading 65ish. I have 4 packs of Booveda 72% with 20 cigars... I might have the same issue as you did. I will try the foam strategy and reseal the glass too.
If you have extra tips please let me know ;)