What's new

Floor refinishing and my humidor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Had a recent water leak in the house which means some of the hardwood floors need to be replaced, and the floors throughout will need to be refinished...we will have to leave the house for a week or so...have a standard cuban crafters Humi with 100 or so sticks in it...should I stash it at a friends house or could I put the humidor in another larger box like a humidor in a cooler to protect the cigars from the fumes? Is this something to wory about or not? If any of you have had your floors redone did you have to do anything to safguard your Humidor? Thanks in advance for the advice!

PS -Someone on the board advised me to not wait until the start of the Buffalo Bills Championship season this year to try a #9...so I didn't....you were right...it was really good...

Rating - 95.5%
24   1   0
The chemicals won't affect your stash but the dust will. Most of it will be picked up while the floor is sanded but some is still airborn. You probably don't want dust on or in your humidor so I'd leave it with a friend.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I find that the strong sent of the varnish can linger in the cigars. The dust is bad too. I would definitely try moving the humidor if its possible. I know the lingering scent so it can be rough and slightly effect the cigars. IMO

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I flipped out on the wife for spraying fufu spray in my lounge once. Let alone varnish. I'd move them now.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have my buddy who got me into the "sport" babysit my humi then...it will be sad to not be able to visit with them...(closet humidor sniffer...the first step is admiotting the problem) Thanks all!

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
The ole 'better safe than sorry' addage comes to mind! I'd keep them away from the chemicals and the dust for sure. Hope the project goes well :)

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Get them out of there. Not only will it probably ruin your cigars it may ruin your humidor. Better safe than sorry.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
there is no way in hell i would leave my humidor in the house with ANY kind of construction happening, not only will the dust/fumes taint the smokes, and possibly the humidor its self, but they will probably also have every door and window open while they are working, the temperature fluctuations could impact your stash as well. Also, i would insist on the contractor doing the work to shut your central air (if you have it) OFF and cover all the grills to keep the dust out, im a contractor in florida, and trust me, the dust from refinishing floors is super fine and will travel farther, and get into more places then you can imagine!

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
There are actually carcinogens in some of the residential finishes. They are an airborne hazard as well. Do you know what brand finish they are using?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the input...at the tearing our the floor that got ruined part and drying the subfloor assessing amount of damage...will make sure they tape of vents, and will look into the finishes...any that you like more than others ilikefishes?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are replacing the hardwood floors, while refinishing you will not be comfortable to stay there as there will be a lot of dust so, It would be better if you shift some where else for a week.
----------------

Last edited by a moderator: