What's new

Flying jitters...

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
I loathe flying.... I especially hate flying US carriers.. and have particular hatred for US carriers flying domestic routes..

not because of any fear...

but because of comfort... and customer service issues..

Ive seen the airline industry in the US fall completely on its ass over the past 20 years.. there used to be a reasonable expectation of flights actually arriving on time.. that there would be decent care and service on the aircraft while in flight etc..

These days youre packed in like sardines.. youre lucky to get a cup of water and a bag of peanuts without the flight attendant treating you like dirt or getting upset because you asked for it.. and good luck actually departing and arriving on schedule...

Ive heard a million and one excuses about how putting more seats on planes, cutting out in flight meals, etc..etc.. make air travel more affordable, allow the airlines to better compete, etc...

But..

Its a damn sad day... when Ethiopia Airlines provides you with the lowest cost option to East Africa.. and the quality of their aircraft, service, etc.. far exceeds any US carrier...

Or when flying Emirates is a 10x better option to get into the middle east than United, Delta, etc.. (cheaper, better service, more room in the cabin, etc..)..

Pretty damn state of affairs when a major US carrier cant even make the top 40 list of "best airlines"..

I mean.. freaking Aeroflot (a horrible airline) rated higher than United last year..

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Awards/world_airline_rating.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-airlines-in-the-world-2014-6#1-singapore-airlines-20

And its not like the US carriers arent making money... or need to treat you like crap to be profitable... theyre making plenty..

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/01/27/airline-profits-soar-passengers-fuel/22395509/

They (IMO) simply do it.. because they can (why not? we accept it.. and they make even more $$ in the process)...

Flying domestically, I dont have much of a choice... and usually end up on United or Delta...

but flying internationally.. sadly, I almost always choose to fly with a carrier that is NOT U.S. based (I get better service, more reliable departure and arrival, and lower cost tickets.. almost every single time..)..

/rant off

:)
My favorite airline is China southern for these facts

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
The flying doesn't bother me at all , it is TSA, I fly into allot smaller airport n they don't have a x-ray machine, so when no x-ray around I have to be groped by TSA (as I have a Bo Jackson Hip) , I've asked a few time to have the biggest over weight lady that TSA has on duty to do the hand pat down, that never work's , I normally get the limp wristed guy that wants to talk and ask allot of dumb ass question, just for shit and giggles I'll ask if it was good for him ........When flying I'll pay the extra for more leg room, normally have 1 coke and 2 rums. sit back and relax, listen to music or read.......

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think we all get the jist of flying and what constitutes a good flight ( preparedness ) vs a bad flight where you have some 5 year old kicking the back of your seat constantly while Mommy or Daddy watches with pride as their little wunderkind smiles and grabs your headphones and throws them 5 rows up. I have 2 kids who are now in their 30's so I've flown with them since they were infants....some Parents tend to not give a tinkers damn as to what their kids do on an airplane or even in their own cars. Why else do they have TV's and IPODS and games in the truck and minivans....because they don't want to take the time to instruct and train their special prodigies for fear that the child will grow up and not be their bestest buddy. My kids traveled with us on flights and were good as gold because we took the time to train them how to travel and kept them busy with things we knew they liked to do. When they were infants we ensured we kept a bottle handy on takeoff and landings because the air pressure changes and with infants their more sensitive with auditory changes. We used rewards like 'favorite foods/toys' when they got older to help keep their interests confined to their own space...not the glasses on top of the people in front of them and grabbing them and throwing it around like a horseshoe.

I always fly with noise canceling headphones for those who can't seem to control their children....same goes for those retards who think it's an open bar in a flying beer can so they can run their mouths 3 jack n cokes into the flight and then talk like they are using one of those PA systems....with their alchy breath and being about 200 pounds overweight and basically using half of my seat. Other than this....I love flying.