What's new

Flying with cigars

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Mods please move if necessary.

I'm a positive this has been covered but mobile search blows IMO,so sorry for asking dumb questions.

What's the best way to fly with cigars. I'm going to Florida and I'm responsible for bringing all the cigars for a bachelor party. Point is. I'm taking at least a full box of BRC and my 15 stick herfador. Possibly more. Is carryon the best way? Will it be an issue that they are Cuban?

Any insight is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Again sorry for asking something that's probably been covered ad nauseum.

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Whatever way works best for you, is the best way.

I've flown with cigars in my carry-on, and in my checked luggage. Haven't had issues with either. There will be no issues with Cubans.

Only thing to know is that you technically can't bring a butane lighter, although they often miss it. So don't bring an expensive butane lighter and get upset if they take it.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Exactly what @memphsdad said with one exception. Butane lighters are OK for carry-on as long as they are soft flame. You are not supposed to check them. Torch lighters are technically prohibited in all forms (carry-on or checked). Just carry a Bic or two and you will be fine or head to Walgreens and buy a $5 Ronson Jetlight when you get there if you want a torch.

As far as CCs, the only time you need to worry about them getting confiscated is when you are entering the country and going through US customs. For domestic flights, the fine folks at TSA couldn't give a rat's behind what the origin of your cigars is and should not even give them a second glance.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Throw them in your carry on. I keep a punch on my keychain, and sometimes throw in a cheap cutter. I buy a Bic wherever I land. (I'm not willing to risk losing a good cutter or lighter to the TSA goons)

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not sure for you guys over there but I had a cutter on me in carry on and it got confiscated so put that in your check in . That made me buy a key ring punch also . Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I've been carrying mine on for years and have never had an issue.

If things have changed I should probably buy a cheapo one for my backpack and make sure that I check my Palio going forward.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've been carrying mine on for years and have never had an issue.

If things have changed I should probably buy a cheapo one for my backpack and make sure that I check my Palio going forward.
More likely that is due to inconsistent enforcement. I won't bash TSA because they already get enough of that. But they are primarily looking for bombs and weapons. But it would suck to spend good coin on a torch lighter or a cutter and have it get taken.

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
As for the lighter if its empty you can check it, but cant carry on. You can check the cutters. Me personally would not check the cigars i have seen how they throw those bag, wouldnt you hate showing up to the bachelor party with a bunch of messed up sticks

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I travel with cigars very frequently and usually cary them on. I have checked them, but feel more comfortable carrying them. The largest amount I've carried before was 50 and I've done that a few times and they always had some cubans in there. As others have said you can carry soft flames on the plane and most cutters are usually fine as well. As for torches, on a domestic flight you can have up to two torch lighters in a checked bag, but they must be in an approved DOT container.* I have done this many times and never had a problem. Here is one such case: http://www.elighters.com/pm-clear-case.html

*Source - FAA Pack Safe

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have travelled quite a bit in my time as have others and it seems that the bulk of most airports are pretty good as far as lighters and cutters. At some point we deal with airports that seem to want to be a little more meticulous and will confiscate our hardware. I've had soft flame lighters taken just because the agent didn't understand the mechanics of how the lighter worked ( sheesh...just push down on the actuator there Billy Bob ) but sometimes they don't like passengers telling them how to do their job and poooooffffffff.....there goes your lighter or cutter.

General rule of thumb....don't bring anything you don't want to or can't afford to lose.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I carried a v cutter and my xikar scissors they are TSA approved and a pack of matches and a sheep lighter got the job done no issues

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I typically carry about a dozen cigars when I fly as well as a Bic and a cheap double bladed cutter and have never had an issue with anything.

I pick up a torch at Walgreens if I'm going to be smoking a fair amount for convenience

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I fly all the time with cigars, cutters and lighters. Cheapo torches that are mostly plastic don't get confiscated if you put them in you ziplock with toiletries. Friends do it all the time. Head shops sell the ones that look like Bics for $2-3 each.

Make sure you have your sticks climate controlled in a container with a Boveda pack.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've flown a few times to Mexico with cigars, and brought Cubans back home. My cigars in the travel humi go in my carry on. Ditto to everything said already about cutters and lighters already. I don't know how other people feel about it, but I'll sometimes precut my cigars if I'm only bringing a couple, and leave the cutter at home. I've only been stopped by TSA once for a lighter, but it was a soft flame and the supervisor was cool with it.