What's new

For all the service members out there...

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am currently in the midst of analyzing the benefits of an online degree for service members, and also composing an argument about how online degrees should be seen the same way a "traditional" degree is seen. I'm just looking for any opinions either way to help me out on these papers that I am writing. Thank you all!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It would be an interesting read, but in the next 3 or so years, I have a feeling that it won't be so relevant. More and more universities each year are offering very credible online programs for service members as well as professionals trying to add to their resumes. Arizona State, for one, doesn't even issue a different diploma for an online degree anymore. As a service member myself, I'm trying to avoid the "University of Phoenix" stigma and get real education at the same time. It's a challenge...

Rating - 100%
152   0   0
I think it depends on the type of degree, Bachelor's or Masters, and also what your field of study.
A bachelor's degree largely says to employers that you can read, write, and follow direction. There is very little problem solving with a BS/BA, and most employers will then train you on what you need to know. As such, I think online degree programs for bachelor's are very viable.
A masters depends on what you are studying, some just lend themselves to online (such as IT fields), than others (some business degrees, sciences). At this level, employers are looking for problem solving skills, team leadership, critical thinking, etc. I doubt many employers would be impressed with someone applying to lead a team, when they did everything online.
I have an MBA, and besides my field of study (Economics) it largely taught me to work and lead teams. It was very real world e.g. teams are assigned at random and everyone had to pull their weight. Often you received grades based on the total teams effort, and some had some portion of the grade given to you by peers. No way online (even with online meetings, skype, etc.) would match that.
Best of luck with your papers!

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'd avoid the UoP (University of Phoenix) personally. They have a bad wrep especially with the government inquiries. You'd be best served looking into schools like Western Governors. I know this doesn't help the OP, just my 2 cents.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am currently enrolled in University of Maryland University College. It is a large "military friendly" school, with easy to access online courses and my wife loved the school setup; which is the main reason I enrolled. I'm working on a BS in Business Management, and while I can see where you are coming from Monsterdg, with being a service member, and also a noncommissioned officer, I have real world team leading experience that doesn't necessarily have to come from doing class projects. I am, essentially, a team manager. I have three soldiers that work for me and we have missions that need to be accomplished. As I progress in rank, I will get more and more soldiers underneath me that I will be held responsible for. That, and my military education, can account for my team leading abilities when it comes to getting a job after the military.

Thank you guys for your insight, I really appreciate it.