What's new

For those that live in the desert

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
I was at Sam's club last week and saw a portable evaporative cooler that peaked my interest. I snapped a picture of it so I could google some reviews later. All the reviews seemed positive except for the idiots who try to use it in Florida. The reviews were for people using it indoors. It is intended for indoor use, but I wanted it for my patio thinking it should at least cool off a small area to smoke in. So I went back up to Sam's and purchased a KuulAire KA53.
Last night it was 98 degrees at 8:30 with about 4% humidity on my patio. I dumped 2 gallons of water in the cooler, turned it on, and instantly felt like it was only 70 degrees. It was so nice I burned through 2 cigars in 3 hours last night and actually thought about going inside to grab socks because my feet were getting cold.
This was $200 well spent and will keep me comfortable until monsoon season. If you live in the desert and are not allowed to smoke inside This cooler works great

rabbgp

Savor
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I had a slap palm to forehead moment three summers ago when I buoght my first evap cooler from Home Depot. Just cant beat them for summer eveing smoking without sweat dripping from your nose. And as an added benifit if your home AC goes out (as mine did last Friday) they are good backup for a little inside the house releif until the AC repair man can come.

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
Any idea on the energy consumption on those things? Is it comparable to those window units?
Uses very little energy since your just running a fan and not a compressor. This will not work were you live. They only work in very low humidity.
One more note: This unit is a bit loud, no big deal, but just thought I should point that out.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Interesting. I might need one of these. How dry does the environment need to be for these to be effective?

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Uses very little energy since your just running a fan and not a compressor. This will not work were you live. They only work in very low humidity.
One more note: This unit is a bit loud, no big deal, but just thought I should point that out.
That's still pretty cool. I looked them up on wikipedia and it's amazing that the technology dates back as far as it does.