What's new

For those that smoke in the house? Does it smell?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ive been debating weather or not to smoke in my new house or not. I have one room, that's going to be my computer / office room and that would be the only room I would do it in. My biggest fear is the smell.

So for those of you that do smoke in your house, does it smell or how do you make sure it doesn't?

I also have a detached garage that I currently am smoking in, its just got no heat so it does get cold in there. plus there really isn't anything to do. Obviously all that can be fixed, but it will need a thing or 2 before I could actually put things like a desk or table out there with some furniture.

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I smoke in my house but only 1 or 2 times a week. I usually crack a window and hit the fan and the smell doesn't stick for any longer then a couple of hours.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
While I'm not a house-smoker, I understand that aside from the obvious ventilation and weather-stripping considerations, that there are paints/sealers that can be used to protect the walls/ceiling from smoke. Beyond that, any fabrics you keep in the room (carpet, curtains, furniture) are going to retain a lot of smell.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I have Directv in the garage with a portable propane heater. It gets me through the winter months. LP9 and Thursday night football tonight when I get home:smile:

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I smoke in my truck, RV, and house. I have since I started smoking. Vent it well, and use some sort of odor eliminator when done. In the RV I sit at the table with a fan pulling the smoke out the window. Then I run my Lampe Berger for a few minutes after. No biggie.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Whenever the lady of the house goes out of town, I light up a few sticks in our apartment. I put in one of those window fans and close the door to the bedroom. The smell sticks around for a day or so but it goes away if I keep the fans going.

Last weekend I smoked 3 sticks inside and didn't sit by the fan like I usually do. I went to walmart and bought some of that Arm & Hammer carpet pet stuff that you vacuum up. When she got home late Sunday night, literally, the first words were, "Hey, it smells nice in here"

But again, I don't do it very often. After some time I'm sure you'll begin to notice it

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I smoke in my man room in the basement with a fan on, the air vents closed & the window open. I use those "smoke eliminator" candles & spray air freshener when I'm done as well. No real lingering smoke issues with my procedure - my wife still complains though, but what are you gonna do? :)

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Buy a heater and stay in the garage. Think about running a cable line out there for tv, get a wireless router if you have a laptop to bring out there, magazine, newspaper etc. I've smoked a couple times in the house and never again... sadly.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Get on of these:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000P9GZU0/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1323996143&sr=8-2"]Texsport Propane Double Heater:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Imcx3x6ML.@@AMEPARAM@@41Imcx3x6ML[/ame]
Do the cable, wifi thing and Put in a 120 cfm bath fan. Save yourself from the wife!!!!!

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
If you smoke inside other people will notice the stank long before you do. Fresh cigar smoke is heavenly. stale smoke odor is not, imo.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Unless your room has been constructed to be smoked in, I would avoid it. Like others have said, I would outfit your detached garage/shed and have at it without the worries.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
It all just depends on what you want. Stale smoke sucks, I agree. That's why I vent out all the leftover smoke. When the cigar goes out, the fans stay on for another 20 minutes or so, then the odor eater goes on. Can someone tell I smoke in there? Sure. Can my mom, who is highly allergic to smoke, come over and have 0 problems there? Also, sure. She's even sat right where I smoked the cigars, and been just fine. Some people are just overly anal. I don't feel like spending all that money on my place, then being forced out in the cold to enjoy my hobby.

Then again, I have a very supporting partner. She helped me to even get into cigars, and has been open to it the entire time.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
The problem with any tobacco smoke is the way it permeates EVERYTHING. And I am talking about the stuff you don't think about...Like pillows, blankets and clothes inside closets...Drapes...Rugs...bedding...upholstery.
It's easy to set up fans to draw the air out, but the smoke that you THINK went out the window will affect lots of stuff in your house.

Set up the garage!

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Buy a heater and stay in the garage. Think about running a cable line out there for tv, get a wireless router if you have a laptop to bring out there, magazine, newspaper etc. I've smoked a couple times in the house and never again... sadly.
If you smoke inside other people will notice the stank long before you do. Fresh cigar smoke is heavenly. stale smoke odor is not, imo.
Yes to both of these! I did this in my garage before I built my man-cave...The heater like justen posted is a great option and so is this.

Trust me when I say no matter how good you try to mask it, without a powerfull ventalation system you will still have that nasty stale smoke smell somewhere.

ciano

Viaje Group
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I smoke in my home. I run 1 fan at the window another at the other end of the room blowing towards the window fan. When done i run 2 air purifiers i purchased from amazon for 30.00 each ( opposite ends of each other ) run them for 1 1/2 hrs and the next day its fine. Now thats with two cigars a day. one in early afternoon the other at 8 at night. If i do 3 thats when i can smell it the next day.

Febreze on the coaches goes along way as well.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yeah a big part of me just wants to say forget it and just do it.

Then there is the other party that's like I know I'm not going to be in this house forever and if it stinks like smoke when I do try and sell it then Ill be screwed.

Now, I will be there for at least 5 years and I mean I know new paint and carpet would be standard really for selling a house most of the time anyway. So I'm not that worried. However what does worry me it it getting into everything else like everyone says. In the vents, in the ceiling, seeping into the insulation somehow. Things like that.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
after proper ventilation, i find the lampe berger products tend to do a good job of putting a pleasant smell in the air that cuts through residual smoke odor.