What's new

For what it's worth... went back to the drawing board.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my story...

My last purchase for both WLT and LO came in and I rolled up a few sticks. Waited a few weeks and... they SUCKED. One puff and I'd throw it in the storm drain. Unsmokable. Almost threw it all away. The worst ever.

What the heck? Jorge's tobacco had an amazing, delicious raisin odor that I absolutely loved but when it was smoked that flavor did NOT convey to the cigar smoke. Not so good.

With my last purchase being SOOO incredibly bad I stopped rolling. No need to produce such crap. The worst cigars ever. Really.

I began to wonder... was it me? Maybe I have a sinus infection or an even more serious condition that was affecting my palate. All of a sudden I was no longer smoking cigars. My wife even became concerned. So the most reasonable thing to do was go to Corona cigar and bought a nice 1964 Anniversary Padron. Sat down with a brandy and smoked it. Ahaaa, there's my old friend. Tasted fantastic.

Why then, have my cigars turned so acrid and horrible tasting? I walked away and stopped rolling.

A turning point...
Just recently, while visiting a friend, he invited me in and said..." stick your nose in my humidor and take a whiff. Isn't that ammonia odor fantastic?"
NO, it's terrible I replied. He said..."I thought ammonia was a good thing?" The fermentation process should have been over but it obviously wasn't and these were top name cigars!

It was interesting to find his commercial cigars had that much ammonia being released. It got me thinking.

As everyone knows, when new cigars are rolled the binder and the wrapper especially have added moisture to them. The filler also needs to have some moisture also. When the tobacco gets wound tightly in a cigar that moisture gets trapped inside and needs to 'Rest' for the moisture to slowly evaporate. However, it can cause a slight amount of fermentation to begin deep inside the cigar. The ammonia created slowly works it's way out over time. It's what's known as the cigars "sick period". It is recommended to open the humidor and allow fresh air into the humidor to help flush out the ammonia. It can take many months or years depending on moisture level.

I had thought that 2 months of drying/resting was enough but have since discovered that longer times may be needed. I thought it was just crappy, inferior quality tobacco but I was wrong.

My conclusion...

This is the secret I've mentioned before but now have even more evidence to support it.

Of what I've read the aging process is caused by ONE thing, OXIDATION. The fermentation process involves Oxidative enzymes that remove objectionable elements in tobacco and release ammonia in the process. The oxidation process may, no doubt, be brought about in different ways or at least at markedly different rates, depending upon the environmental conditions but oxidation is the key to unlock.

Every other day I would remove all internal gasses from the cigar by way of a vacuum chamber. Took about 30 seconds in a small jar. It would suck out everything and then replenish the cigar with fresh 70% rh air. Oxygen. In about three weeks when you stuck your nose in the jar it took on a pleasant grassy/ tobacco odor. (No raisin smell.) The tobacco smelled different and the cigars had transformed to a completely delightful smoke.

Here's where I was flabbergasted... I ran a blind taste test. Using two friends to evaluate I gave the same drinks to neutralize the palate and smoked ONE cigar a night for two nights in a row. First night one man was given a Padron 1964 maduro (label was removed) the other fellow was given my cigar. The next night I reversed it. In the end both smokers prefered my cigar and neither picked the Padron!!! I also smoked along with them and felt the same way. I couldn't believe it.

These cigars went from the worst, crappiest, acrid, unsmokable cigars to an absolute delight just by giving it oxygen and removing the internal gasses. This can be done by letting it sit passively (sometimes for many, many months or years) and s l o w l y letting the acrid gasses naturally escape or, as I found, you can accelerate the process and remove every bit of acrid gas and replenish with fresh oxygen by using a vacuum chamber. It gets new oxygen deep down in every cell of the tobacco and flushes out the bad stuff.

IMHO.. people starting out should worry less about rolling a pretty cigar and concentrate more on what improves the flavor but for many people it's all about the look. For example, spending $100 on a vacuum pump will do much more to help oxygenate the tobacco yet many people see a tuck cutter on the pros rolling table and will readily spend $225 to try to improve the appearance.

vacuum pump.jpg

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
First off, I want to say welcome back!! Secondly, I'm glad to see that you have found that it isn't a serious health issue or an inferior quality leaf as the issue. I have been smoking sticks that have been aging around a year and have found that the time has been very very kind to them and can only imagine that they will only get better for years to come. Being an impatient man, this vacuum pump is something I should invest in.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I want to say welcome back!! Secondly, I'm glad to see that you have found that it isn't a serious health issue or an inferior quality leaf as the issue. I have been smoking sticks that have been aging around a year and have found that the time has been very very kind to them and can only imagine that they will only get better for years to come. Being an impatient man, this vacuum pump is something I should invest in.
Thanks! good to be back.
The Jar is just a bell jar from Walmart and the lid gets a fitting epoxied or gasketed in so it doesn't leak. Under $10. The pump is the most money at around $100. It's like an iron lung for your sticks. I bought the pump for an air conditioning install and used it once but now I use it almost everyday.

FYI... if you want to dry your cigars you can put some kitty crystals in the jar with the cigars and pull a vacuum and let it sit a few days. In a vacuum the water evaporates much easier.
However, I'm letting the new rolled cigars sit in a box for 1 month. They may produce some ammonia during that time which is good. Then, start every other day pull down a vacuum and then release the valve to let new, fresh air rush in the jar. Goes way deep into every cell.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't know jack about pumps, so was wondering if this single-stage (vs the 2-stage VIOT shown in your pic) could also be used for such a project? It's only half the $ of the 2-stage jobs. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/p/Single-stage-3-5cfm-Rotary-Vane-Vacuum-Pump-3-CFM-1-4hp-HVAC-Air-Tool-R410a-R134/1640389582

It's 3.5 CFMs, whatever those are (cubic feet per minute, maybe?). The 2-stage is 1.58 CFMs.

And here's the same for $19.99:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-CFM-Rotary-Vane-Vacuum-Pump-1-4HP-HVAC-R134a-Air-Refrigerant-Conditioning-/152497280154?hash=item23818bd49a:g:AKEAAOSwc-tY41JF

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Hmmmmm, interesting idea!

@blisscigarco, the part that matters most is absolute vacuum, the smaller the number, the better the vacuum. I do not however know the "ideal pressure" to pull off ammonia... but honestly it shouldn't be that hard since it's a gas. Water, however, is difficult to pull off on all but the best ($10-20k) vacuum pumps. In that case, lower is better

Sent from the past on VeLoRoK's flip phone

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hmmmmm, interesting idea!

@blisscigarco, the part that matters most is absolute vacuum, the smaller the number, the better the vacuum. I do not however know the "ideal pressure" to pull off ammonia... but honestly it shouldn't be that hard since it's a gas. Water, however, is difficult to pull off on all but the best ($10-20k) vacuum pumps. In that case, lower is better

Sent from the past on VeLoRoK's flip phone
Thanks. So that CFM # says nothing about absolute vacuum?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know jack about pumps, so was wondering if this single-stage (vs the 2-stage VIOT shown in your pic) could also be used for such a project? It's only half the $ of the 2-stage jobs. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/p/Single-stage-3-5cfm-Rotary-Vane-Vacuum-Pump-3-CFM-1-4hp-HVAC-Air-Tool-R410a-R134/1640389582

It's 3.5 CFMs, whatever those are (cubic feet per minute, maybe?). The 2-stage is 1.58 CFMs.

And here's the same for $19.99:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-CFM-Rotary-Vane-Vacuum-Pump-1-4HP-HVAC-R134a-Air-Refrigerant-Conditioning-/152497280154?hash=item23818bd49a:g:AKEAAOSwc-tY41JF
They all pull a vacuum and even the cheapest one will probably be ok to suck the air out of a bell jar.

The main difference between pumps is how deep a vacuum it can pull. This is crucial when selecting a pump for AC work but not as important when aerating your cigars. CFM (cubic ft. per minute of draw) is irrelevant when pumping out a small bell jar.
The other difference is some of the cheaper pumps make a lot of noise. You won't need to run it for a long time so this might not be an issue either.

Most pumps don't come with fittings or hose or a gauge so you'll need to get that separately. You don't really need a gauge as you will only run it for a minute or two. A shut off valve is important to have for several reasons. If you want to pull a vacuum and seal it for several days (good for drying) you need to shut off the valve, otherwise it will pull back through the pump and not hold the vacuum. Also, the procedure when vacuuming should be done as follows... once the vacuum is pulled and the pump is still running... step#1 is to close the valve first and then shut off the pump. Never let the vacuum suck back through the motor. Oil could be pulled back through the pump into the jar. Some pumps come with a shut off valve and some don't. To let air back in the jar... slowly unscrew the valve on top of the jar breaking the vacuum seal and you'll hear the hissing off air going back into the jar.

This is a good video to show the components you'll need and how they work. The gauge is optional but I like having one.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So that CFM # says nothing about absolute vacuum?
No. It's tells you how much air it can suck in one minute. Some pumps are slower or faster but may be able to pull the same vacuum.

Using a small bell jar like mine the CFM number is meaningless. I pull a deep vacuum in 30 seconds in that jar.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also started thinking about infusing some cigars using this unit. Instead of waiting months for the fumes to slowly absorb, connect the air release valve to a container that has fumes of Bourbon whiskey it could be quickly transferred to the deepest internals of the cigar instantly.

Thoughts to ponder

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I also started thinking about infusing some cigars using this unit. Instead of waiting months for the fumes to slowly absorb, connect the air release valve to a container that has fumes of Bourbon whiskey it could be quickly transferred to the deepest internals of the cigar instantly.

Thoughts to ponder
I like where your head is at, but to get the best effects of the bourbon or whiskey you should drink it

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have everything on hand to do this project -- pump, acrylic, fittings, gauge, purple plastic gloves, etc. EXCEPT I do not own a white lab coat.
Damn. So much for that idea.

But, seriously, how elaborate do we have to get before the thing becomes silly?

Someone here suggested a nuke and blow method for drying out your gars. That's simple. Wouldn't that work? Ten secs in the mike and a little toot on your gar. Saves a day in the garage for more important stuff like bolting a gimballed drink rack on your murdersickle.

I dunno. Maybe I need to retire, so's I can find time for foolin around.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have everything on hand to do this project -- pump, acrylic, fittings, gauge, purple plastic gloves, etc. EXCEPT I do not own a white lab coat.
Damn. So much for that idea.

But, seriously, how elaborate do we have to get before the thing becomes silly?

Someone here suggested a nuke and blow method for drying out your gars. That's simple. Wouldn't that work? Ten secs in the mike and a little toot on your gar. Saves a day in the garage for more important stuff like bolting a gimballed drink rack on your murdersickle.
Yup, that was me also. I'm an incessant tinkerer.

There's a definitive difference between the two methods.

The microwave worked well to dry a damp cigar. You need to cut the cap on each cigar so you can blow in the end to expel the steam. One cigar at a time but has the benefit of being able to smoke the cigar almost immediately. The flavor and burn are improved provided the cigar doesn't get too much or too little cook time. It needs to be within a few seconds of accuracy or the flavor could be altered. It does nothing to age the tobacco.

The vacuum method sole purpose is to oxygenate and flush out foul gasses deep within the cells of the cigar which is what happens when it ages naturally. It also requires no cutting of the head of the cigar but it takes weeks or months whereas natural aging is a very slow method that can take years. The vacuum is a powerful tool that pulls all the air out deep in the cells of the cigar and then re-fills it with fresh air speeding up the aging process and removes any lingering foul tasting gases. You can do a lot of cigars at the same time with the same exact result since it's very easy to control. You can't see anything happening to the cigars. You can only hear the air rush back in the jar but rest assured that the air is being drawn back deep in the cigar.

It's important to understand where you're going with this or you'll never know when you get there and end up disappointed. It's not for everyone.