What's new

Free Cigar Aficionado subscription for one year

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just to let you guys know, it is legit, I have my CA and Men's Fitness magazines sitting on the table next to me as I type this. They have a new survey each week that offers the same "$20" reward for 3 mins of your time. The refer system also seems broke, I referred five email addresses from my spam folder and that gave me enough for another magazine subscription.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Got my first issue -- Thanks, for posting JayJay.

Been a couple years since I subscribed to CA. I only paged through the reviews last night - didn't look at rest of mag yet. But....WTH??? There was a Gurkha in there with a 92. But, more outrageous was the NEW category: 'Grande', IIRC. Bad enough that B&M's are giving up more and more facings to the monsters, but now CA validating that by reviewing category of cigars that are all minimun of 60 RG...they even reviewed that Asylum 770 monstrosity. Sad. I don't begrudge others what they like, generally. But, it is affecting my ability to buy smaller cigars, so I claim the right to bitch about it.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Their ratings are totally pathetic so you have to just look at the pretty pictures. Really, I've never seen them score a stick lower than 85 and that's just asinine. It's like you get 75 points for it being made of something at least resembling tobacco, 5 points for rolling it in to some kind of cylindrical shape, and 5 more for slapping a band on it. There are only really ~10 points up for grabs.

As for the 60rg thing, it's a huge trend right now (unfortunately), but for every guy that walks in and buys a handful of those things at least it leaves more cigars available for me in the sizes I prefer. I completely understand why they would make a category for that - especially since I'm sure there's at least some tie between their review department and their advertising department.

Just my 0.02

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Their average rating is 87.15. That's of all of the reviews for the past 20 years. There's your benchmark for decoding what their scores are.