What's new

Freezer Project- Finished w/ more Pics

Rating - 100%
159   0   0
Well you know that slippery slope that guys talk about around here. Do you remember Wile-e-coyote, when he would be sliding along and wind up in mid-air because he slid out off the cliff. Well I think I'm there.

The Edgestar is full, filled the humidor, a cooler, and a couple to tupidors. Wife won't let me have another cooler, but I'm out of storage. :cursing:

Introducing the solution.

100_0969_crop.jpg100_0970_crop.jpg100_0971_crop.jpg100_0972_crop.jpg

Its a 16 cu ft freezer. Hasn't worked in a long time, and it was free. So I stripped out the compressor and any excess crap, and its now sitting in my basement.

I'm looking for suggestions on what I need to do to round it out for box storage. I searched for old treads but couldn't seem to find any thing. If any one can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Or if you just have some suggestions. Thanks BOTL.

MORE Pictures POST # 30

Last edited:

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
- Make sure it is clean and odorless

- Check to make sure it is completely sealed, if not apply sealant where necessary

- I would replace the metal shelves with spanish cedar (not necessary but better looking)

- Add your beads or whatever you plan to use for humidity control

- Throw a couple of fans in to move the air

- Fill it up and good luck!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
and make sure the puppy is full of distilled water only. prop gly can clog up canines!

seriously, good luck. embarking on a similar project this week with a refurbished soda display cooler. i learn anything, i let you know.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I think Justin nailed most of it in his post. Now is a great time to upgrade to HCM beads with that group buy that is running. I put them in my vinotemp, and it has been rock solid for 6 months so far. It was the best investment I ever made for my cigars.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I think Justin pretty much covered the bases there. Only other thing I'd add is pimp the outside in some sweet graphics, but that can wait til you're up and running. That's going to be a sweet humidor once you get it all situated...and at minimal cost too :thumbsup:.

Dan

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I think I would add an accumonitor to it and have active humidification for the size of the thing. It would be worth the investment.

Rating - 100%
159   0   0
If I go the bead route then based on the HCM calculator I need minimum of 3.2 lbs or double at 6.4 lbs. Even with a group buy that is getting expensive. I sent a pm to Ron and his recommendation was an active source with an accumonitor. His smallest unit he said would work. So either the Accumonitor EZ or the Accumonitor 5-10 I'm assuming. So we are talking $220-$250. For beads, with group buy min. is $150 to recommended $300.

So the question is which way do I go?

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
If I were in your shoes I'd go with the Accumonitor. Beads are great and all, but in something that size not only are they going to be more costly (as you've found out) I just wouldn't be able to fully trust the beads to keep up. I think the Accumonitor would end up being less maintenance.

Dan

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Active is what I would do. Likely going to invest in one of Staebell's humidifiers for a new project.

After months of screwing with beads (both types) trying to get them where I wanted, just gave up and bought an active solution. Def. wish I would have done it sooner.

Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Another go active vote here especially since you're talking about Ron's product. If you were talking about the cheaper ones then I would stick with the beads.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Another go active vote here especially since you're talking about Ron's product. If you were talking about the cheaper ones then I would stick with the beads.
:thumbsup:

I got pretty much the same size freezer I'm gonna probably do the exact same thing with.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
well, it seems like there might be 3 projects going that might need an Accumonitor. I am sure I can sweeten the price a little bit if we can do a "group buy"

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I'm on the "opposite" vote I guess. Most fridges, coolers, vinos are almost air tight and require very little maintenance. Thus the use of passive beads. Leave the active humidity to bigger humis that need more moisture. Spend some money on beads and Cedar ( or just use a bunch of your full boxes :)--''') and sleep well at night. Never seen a Accumonitor absorb moisture btw........ For me 3 dif VIno brands (2 28s and 1 34) All 3 are rock steady for 6 months at a time with one pound of beads. Guys that always say they have issues imo have only one problem.... A seal leak or to much cooling going on.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
A freezer like this can easily store $10,000 worth of cigars. My opinion is that you dont skimp on humidification when you have a collection worth some serious $.

I would use both an Accumonitor and beads. Anyone who uses this combo will have the benefits of both products. The beads eliminate the only shortcoming of the Accumonitor, which is the Accumonitor does not remove excess humidity. The Accumonitor replaces humidity MUCH faster than beads, has the fan timer and circulation fans built in, and eliminates the need of ever refilling your beads.

your accumonitor will replace humidity quickly, circulate air, and keep your beads supplied with water. Your beads will only have to absorb excess humidity due to the cooling unit running. they work together perfectly

This combo will give you the ultimate in humidification at the price of just 1 good box of cigars.

Last edited: