What's new

Freezing cigars

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I figured you wouldn't want to shock them with major rapid temp changes.

Now how long can you store them in the freezer? My Brother is bringing me some CC's from Norway think they would be ok in there for a week or so?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had an outbreak but was gifted a couple of sticks that definitely had beetle holes so I froze and bagged them away from everything else. They smoked OK BTW.

Still, after hearing a few stories of the damage done to others (and seeing some horrible pics!) I retroactively froze all my CC's - at the time around 50 - 55 boxes so it took a while. I had smoked a stick or two from quite a few of those boxes before freezing and didn't notice any flavour change after freezing. I know a lot of very knowledgable people that freeze and I go along with them.

I now freeze everything as it comes in before it goes in the cooler and it's no hassle at all. For me, better safe than sorry. There's too much damage that could be done to the boxes at the bottom of big coolers in a few months if you don't shuffle and check everything regularly.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured you wouldn't want to shock them with major rapid temp changes.

Now how long can you store them in the freezer? My Brother is bringing me some CC's from Norway think they would be ok in there for a week or so?
---- I've left boxes in occasionally for more than a week and never noticed anything detrimental.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well I received them yesterday and they all look great no cracks. I haven't smoked any yet (letting them readjust after their trip) but I'll find out there in a day or two!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I froze my sticks and have had them resting in my humidor for two weeks. The few I have smoked I have noticed some definite flavor loss. Not nearly what they once were. I would not suggest freezing to anyone. maybe they need more time too rest. We'll see. Hopefully that's the case.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I froze my sticks and have had them resting in my humidor for two weeks. The few I have smoked I have noticed some definite flavor loss. Not nearly what they once were. I would not suggest freezing to anyone. maybe they need more time too rest. We'll see. Hopefully that's the case.

Considering the number of people that freeze and have frozen thousands of cigars(many of which are very expensive) I hate to disagree but I do. Not to mention the manufacturers that freeze their cigars before they even get to you. I would be willing to bet that you would taste no difference if it was a blind test.

Also, it's probably a good idea to lest the sticks rest a while once they come out of the freezer so that they can get back to your desired rh. Is 2 weeks enough? I don't know, that depends. I have frozen every single cigar that has gone into my humidor that last few years and I can't tell(no blind test mind you lol) any difference from the same cigars I smoke at my local lounge other than burn difference due to their slightly higher rh they keep(I keep mine at 65, they are at 70).

Just my opinion though.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm hoping they just need to rest longer. Some have more flavor loss than others. Maybe it depends on the cigar too. Was just really disappointed so far. Froze about 120 sticks and would hate to have ruined all of them.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've never had flavor loss and I have frozen quite a few cigars. Double freezer bags all air sucked out, one day room temp, one day fridge, 3 days deep freeze, one day fridge, one day room temp, then into the humidor. Might be overkill, but it's great piece of mind. I won't touch them for at least a month rest in my humidor, more likely for at least 3 months.