What's new

French Press Help!

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Ok so I've always enjoyed a good cup of French Press coffee whenever my mom makes it at home. After I went off to college, I purchased my own Bodum french press, and I make it myself on a regular basis. Recently, I've been getting a "Burnt" taste to the coffee and it's making it slightly unpleasant. I can't think of anything I'm doing, but my thought is that the water may be too hot and is burning the grinds? Or maybe they could have been ground too fine for the coffee maker? Also, it may just be the particular batch or blend that I chose...I usually only get a pound at a time so that it can be as fresh as possible. Any ideas would be great!!

Keep on smoking, and keep on sipping that coffee!!

-Dave

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
i'd say most likely it's the blend. it could also be the water temperature, but i'd think that'd make it taste more acidic vs. burnt.

My water goes in at about 180 degrees for 4 to 5 minutes.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Ok thanks for the ideas...I use one of those water heaters because I'm in a dorm room. Do you suggest getting a thermometer to use on the water? I'll go pick up a different blend in a day or two, I like it fresh, so I don't like stocking up on too much coffee at once. Thanks again earnold!

-Dave

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Contrary to what some will say, you should use coursely ground and not finely ground coffee. This will not help your taste issue, but it will give you better flavor for any blend.
Course grind allows more surface area for the water to pass over, increasing the amount of flavors/complexities to come through.
Good luck!

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Contrary to what some will say, you should use coursely ground and not finely ground coffee. This will not help your taste issue, but it will give you better flavor for any blend.
Course grind allows more surface area for the water to pass over, increasing the amount of flavors/complexities to come through.
Good luck!
I love good coffee, but am not a coffee snob in the least.

However. The statment , above in bold, Is erroneous. The finer you grind the more surface area thier is. If you take a 2 inch cube , you have 24 square inces of surface area.

2x2=4 4x6=24

slice that cube in half and you don't lose any f the original surface area, but you add the 2 surfaces from where it was divided. adding 2 surfaces that are each 4 square inches. Thus a 2 inche cube divided in half, goes from 24 suare inches to 32 square inches. the surface area continues to get larger the more you divide or grind a solid object. this is whay powdered sugar disolves faster than granulated sugar.

Now what is best for your coffee is a the real topic and on that I just ask that you add a bit of sugar, cream and rum to mine, thanks.

Oxman

Oliva Ho
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the blend...darker roasting, while adding lots of complexity, often tastes "burned" to many people.

As for the water thing, don't stress over it. If you're using a little electric kettle, shut it off after the water boils and let it sit for a minute...that'll cool it off enough.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Good luck!
I love good coffee, but am not a coffee snob in the least.

However. The statment , above in bold, Is erroneous. The finer you grind the more surface area thier is. If you take a 2 inch cube , you have 24 square inces of surface area.

2x2=4 4x6=24

slice that cube in half and you don't lose any f the original surface area, but you add the 2 surfaces from where it was divided. adding 2 surfaces that are each 4 square inches. Thus a 2 inche cube divided in half, goes from 24 suare inches to 32 square inches. the surface area continues to get larger the more you divide or grind a solid object. this is whay powdered sugar disolves faster than granulated sugar.

Now what is best for your coffee is a the real topic and on that I just ask that you add a bit of sugar, cream and rum to mine, thanks.

Clint is correct though that you want a coarser grind over fine grind. You also want to let the water sit in the press with the coffee for 4 minutes and then push down the press. Do you let the coffee sit in the press for awhile before pouring? It is recommended that you pour the coffee out right away because it still can absorb the coffee and possibly get a bad taste.

Check this "How To" guide from Stumptown Coffee Roasters. IMO, they make the best coffee out of Pacific Northwest and coffee rules the earth here in the PNW! LOL

http://www.stumptowncoffee.com/guides

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A courser grind is correct if you're going to be brewing with a french press. The courser grind is mainly to minimize the amount of mud that will wind up in your cup with a finer grind. I

My brewing scenario is to put a tea pot of water on the stove and heat it to 200 deg. I have a thermometer like this one that fits perfectly into the steam hole on the tea pot. I take it off at 200 deg, grind my beans, dump in the press and fill with water. I set the timer at 4 minutes. I pick the press up and swirl in a circular motion a couple of times during the brew to swirl the grinds down into the water for more even contact with the water. When the timer goes off, I pour a cup and then pour the rest of the coffee in a pre-heated thermal carafe and enjoy!

Coffee and especially fresh roast/frenc press coffee is a pretty subjective thing. I also wouldn't think it has anything to do with water temp, but more likely the blend and or the grind.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Yeah I have been getting it ground coarse. Of course! It may be the blends that I'm getting...Kenya AA tends to be on the heavier side I've heard (and tasted). Maybe I'll try something a little more mild and see how that goes. I'll definitely check out that thermometer and the Stumptown "how to" notes. Thanks for the great ideas everyone!!!