What's new

French Press

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
That is pretty good. Had my first pot of the India Whatchamacallit this morning and it was outstanding. And it was in my Frech Press and I did dump the grounds down the disposal.
The Indian is really good, although I like the Nicuraguain (sp?) better

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A plumber once told me that coffee grounds are actually good for the septic tank. Don't know if it's true or not but I've been doing that for years. I use a permanant gold filter in my drip pot and wash grounds down the sink every morning. Same when I use my press.
As was mentioned, the bits are much smaller than what goes through the disposal.
Any sort of organic material of that size will be good for a septic tank. It stimulates bacterial growth which is required for the proper functioning of a septic tank.

Some people screw up their septic tanks by using anti-bacterial dish soap, or laundry detergent. Alot of those people will pay alot of money on some products designed to jump start the system with bacteria.

An old guy in the hills told me of a much cheaper option....

"Just toss a dead squirel in the front of the tank...."

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
I always heard that disposing of grinds into the sink will cause it to clog up. Is this just a myth?
Well. I have been dumping grings into the garbage disposal for 25 years without issue.
I have seen it go both ways, several times. For some reason, the P trap seems to catch heavier grounds and as grease builds up in the pipe over the years it can clog pretty solid. This is a pretty easy fix - removing and replacing the P trap. I have also seen coffee grounds completely clog the main household sewer line. In that case, even going through a garbage disposal, they began to get caught up against a root that had penetrated the main line. Eventually the grounds plugged the pipe solid.

I do like my coffee. It is the driving force behind every work day, but I hate cleaning my french press. Are there any easier methods of cleaning this thing out? The grinds are everywhere and to my knowledge I can't simply flush it down the sink. Any ideas?
Joe, can you dump them outside? I live in a pretty rural area so I just dump them in the yard or on the plants. I pull the press, set it in the sink, dump the grounds outside then take apart the press and clean the whole unit. It is pretty simple and only takes me five minutes or so. It is worth it for the superb Black Dog Coffee! :waving: