What's new

Fresh Rolled Cigars

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys. I read some posts in another group where someone was attending an event where they had someone rolling cigars which were available for purchase. Some people were purchasing them a lighting them right up. Maybe as a rookie I’m not understanding the process but wouldn’t those freshly rolled sticks be kind of green and need to rest/age for a bit before smoking them?

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IN!! for the answer on this one too,always wondered about this after reading all the info on aging cigars here.
I have also read about guys smoking fresh sticks while visiting in Cuba.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Basically with fresh rolls the ammonias and byproducts of fermentation haven't had time to build up in the cigar and develop unpleasant flavors/odors. After a couple of weeks cigars enter a "sick period" where the unpleasant flavors have build up to the point they become a problem or a prominent flavor. As the cigars age and fermentation slows down the unpleasant stuff escapes from the cigar faster then the ongoing fermentation can replace them Eventually fermentation slows to the point that you call the cigar properly aged with the ammonia and bad stuff at very low levels in the cigar. Fermentation never stops in a cigar, just slows down to the point that the bad flavors and aromas escape faster then fermentation can replace them.

I think that's it in a nutshell but I don't roll cigars so I'm not an expert.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Basically with fresh rolls the ammonias and byproducts of fermentation haven't had time to build up in the cigar and develop unpleasant flavors/odors. After a couple of weeks cigars enter a "sick period" where the unpleasant flavors have build up to the point they become a problem or a prominent flavor. As the cigars age and fermentation slows down the unpleasant stuff escapes from the cigar faster then the ongoing fermentation can replace them Eventually fermentation slows to the point that you call the cigar properly aged with the ammonia and bad stuff at very low levels in the cigar. Fermentation never stops in a cigar, just slows down to the point that the bad flavors and aromas escape faster then fermentation can replace them.

I think that's it in a nutshell but I don't roll cigars so I'm not an expert.
Thanks Boudie. That makes a lot of sense.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the leaf used. I have smoked some soon after I rolled them and they were great. Others were harsh, just depends on the quality of the tobacco leaves used and how well they compliment each other. I made some with Nicaraguan seco, Dominican Criollo98 Viso and Seco, and a Nicaraguan binder leaf were really good. They burned fast without having a ligero leaf, but tasted awesome.

I've had some freshly rolled ones at some stores around town where they use mainly nicaraguan tobaccos and they needed some time to rest.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I read some posts in another group where someone was attending an event where they had someone rolling cigars which were available for purchase. Some people were purchasing them a lighting them right up. Maybe as a rookie I’m not understanding the process but wouldn’t those freshly rolled sticks be kind of green and need to rest/age for a bit before smoking them?
Depends if you smoke it right away or not. I roll my own cigars so have some experience. You can smoke them within a day or 2 but they go through a sick period after that. I usually let them sit for 2-3 months before I even same anymore though. It makes a huge diff.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@Boudie nailed it.

I was in the Bahamas and the resort had a guy come from Havana once a week to roll cigars for the guests (for sale). I smoked a few of them over a couple trips and they were very enjoyable. I think the environment has a lot to do with it as well, tough not to like a cigar in paradise.
I just returned from Cuba and you are sooo right. Everything I smoked there tasted better than when I smoke them at home.
But I doubt that the resort actually brought a guy from Cuba once a week. I think that may have been something they told their guests.

I do roll cigars and I agree that you can smoke them in a day of two of rolling but then you have have to wait a few months to get through the "sick period".