What's new

Fuente Anejo #50 (pic heavy)

ThatGuy3510

Alpha-nerd
Rating - 94.1%
36   2   1
So last night I made a rather huge purchase: I bought an engagement ring for my girlfriend of 2 years. I decided to light up a special stick in celebration of that event.

Arturo Fuente Anejo #50 (2008)
Size: 5x50 (robusto)
Drink: Water
Weather: ~75F, minimal breeze

This was my first Anejo, and I wasn't really sure what to expect. I got this stick recently in a sale from El Jefe, and given the rarity of it, I was thinking of holding it for a while, but decided tonight was definitely worth it.

Appearance/Prelight: I love the presentation of this stick. The white, gold, and red band is quite striking against the incredibly dark wrapper. It's rough to the touch, but not lumpy, definitely a solid cigar. Only one vein is noticeable along its length. It smells strongly of something I couldn't quite put my finger on, I'm thinking a barnyard type scent. The cut was a bit rough, I think my cutter was tad on the dull side. The cold draw oddly didn't offer up much flavor, just a faint bit of cocoa. The draw was a little on the tight side for me.

First 3rd: The toasting took a little longer that usual, though I expected as much from feeling the thickness of the wrapper. Immediately after lighting the draw loosened considerably, though there wasn't a huge amount of smoke coming from it. Right up front are strong leathery flavors, with a bit of spice on the aftertaste. The ash is a very light gray-ish white and is quite solid.

Second 3rd: I could begin to feel the strenght pick up considerably as the second 3rd started. The leather faded and was replaced by a cocoa flavor that I had tasted in the cold draw, and the spice picked up as well. Smoke production increased quite a bit, and though it definitely became a full-bodied stick at this point, the flavors remained very smooth. I'm starting to feel a little nic kick, and got a bit light-headed when I stood up to get more water. The smoke is leaving my mouth a bit dry, and I can feel the spice in the sinuses.

At this point I've really started to take notice of the ash. It was definitely the most solid ash I have ever seen. I even hit the ash on my chair by accident and it didn't fall. The burn line is razor sharp, and never wavered by more than a quarter inch or so

Of course I had to wear my spiffy new hat.

Final 3rd: Right before the start of the final third the ash finally gave way, at nearly 3 inches. It was so solid, that it didn't even break apart when it hit the ground with an audible thump. The flavors have transitioned into something new to me, that I could only describe as spicy maple syrup.

Near the 1" mark the leather has decided to make a brief comeback, in a kind of grand finale to mix with the spice and sweet-cocoa flavors. It began to get hot, however the flavor didn't turn bitter. I ended up jabbing a toothpick in it to get to the very last bit of nub.

Final Score: 91

Summary: This was a fantastic cigar, and I enjoyed every puff of it. Not mind-blowingly complex, but definitely one of the best Fuentes I've had. I have one each of the other sizes, and I'm looking forward to see how they compare.

P.S. I'll post up a pic of the ring as soon as it gets back from being resized

Total Smoke Time: 1hr 48min

Jammerjoe

Fantasy Sports Geek
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Congrats on your engagement and ring. May you and your bride to be live many happy years and have lots of hot bunny love lol.

I am an Anejo whore. The 50 is a great stick, third on my list below the 77 and 55. I love them all though...