What's new

Full Ligero

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember it as being a practice of late. meaning; it has not been used in a while.
Potassium nitrate is in the fertilizer and is already in the leaf. It makes for good burn quality as it is a natural oxidizer. As I mentioned the Camacho cigar I smoked had additional potassium nitrate added as an accelerant. It's a common product used throughout the tobacco industry.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Potassium nitrate is in the fertilizer and is already in the leaf. It makes for good burn quality as it is a natural oxidizer. As I mentioned the Camacho cigar I smoked had additional potassium nitrate added as an accelerant. It's a common product used throughout the tobacco industry.
that does seem to be the case, yes.

Jan Bynens

Moscca
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought my tobacco with I had the opportunity to talk to Don Placencia of Tobacos de Oriente, the biggest cigar maker and tobacco grower in Central America.
When I asked him about burn problems, he told me that happens when the wrong amounts of fertilizer are used.
When I have a leaf that burns not so good, I solve it though the construction.
Personally I never had to toss leave for this reason.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Guess what... probably every cigar you've smoked has saltpetre in it. It's in the leaf.

I'm simply letting you know that many cigar manufacturers use this product to improve the burn of the cigar. It's sucked up in the leaf by way of nitrates in fertilizers and makes good burning quality in the leaf.

It's a natural oxidizer. Used in many toothpastes and has been used since the middle ages as a food preservative.

It's bad if you breath in the dust or get the powder in your eye but otherwise it's not some scary cancer causing chemical.
Yes, that I know. It’s not sprayed on.
It exists at least in burley, because they use fertilizer

That’s different than treating leaf, post harvest, with it.

It’s ludicrous to suggest we home rollers subject our cigars to that shit.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that I know. It’s not sprayed on.
It exists at least in burley, because they use fertilizer

That’s different than treating leaf, post harvest, with it.

It’s ludicrous to suggest we home rollers subject our cigars to that shit.
I never suggested that anyone use "that shit". I am stating a FACT that it is used throughout the ENTIRE tobacco industry (not just burley) to increase the burn rate of the leaf. Camacho is one cigar that it IS sprayed on. I can name many more but it seems to be a rather unpopular reality for some to handle.

FYI... an oxidizer has to do with the release of oxygen (oh, so scary). Same way an acetylene torch uses oxygen. Your fear that it is some horrible "shit" chemical is flawed.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I never suggested that anyone use "that shit". I am stating a FACT that it is used throughout the ENTIRE tobacco industry (not just burley) to increase the burn rate of the leaf. Camacho is one cigar that it IS sprayed on. I can name many more but it seems to be a rather unpopular reality for some to handle.

FYI... an oxidizer has to do with the release of oxygen (oh, so scary). Same way an acetylene torch uses oxygen. Your fear that it is some horrible "shit" chemical is flawed.
Point taken. No offense taken, and I didn’t mean to come out “swinging” as I sounded.

For me, me only, I don’t have the skill or need to oxidase my leaf. However, your mojo idea is one I’m going to try on the leaf I don’t like. For that, I thank you.

Randy