What's new

Fun With Speculation??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Yeah, that was said very well man. I really can't think of a better way you could of worded it. This thread does make you think a little.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I love these threads. There are stong opinions from each side that no one will be changing. Those fighting to do so, or to prove their point will not be winning anyone over.

That being said, I suppose we could all agree to disagree and agree that Gurkha is a great smoke for the uniformed and those that lack a palate.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
You're right. I was a bit over the top but I wanted to get across how angry that stuff makes me. And your right with the point that the buyers are to blame as well.
I edited my original post so I don't offend anyone..

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
What is wrong with making money? No one is forcing you to buy a cigar from someone that is charging more than you want to pay? If you want them, pay up. If you don't, shut up, and go buy something else you can afford and are willing to pay for. Cigars are worth what someone is willing to sell them for, and at the same time what someone is willing to pay for them. That's the free market, and the way we used to roll here in the US. If a BOTL is charging too much for his stash, buy them from someone else, simple as that, but don't flame him for wanting to make a buck if he did the work to track something down that is hard to find.

sincere capitalist.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
What is wrong with making money? No one is forcing you to buy a cigar from someone that is charging more than you want to pay? If you want them, pay up. If you don't, shut up, and go buy something else you can afford and are willing to pay for. Cigars are worth what someone is willing to sell them for, and at the same time what someone is willing to pay for them. That's the free market, and the way we used to roll here in the US. If a BOTL is charging too much for his stash, buy them from someone else, simple as that, but don't flame him for wanting to make a buck if he did the work to track something down that is hard to find.

sincere capitalist.
Nothing wrong with making money, but on this board, there is no gouging. Cigars are sold to brothers/sista's at a reasonable rate. If the seller doesn't like that, they can go elsewhere to peddle their cigars. It's about brotherhood here

Rating - 95.7%
24   1   0
I have a problem with someone buying a HTF box of the hot smoke right now and trying to make money on it immediately amongst BOTL's. At the same time, I do not have a problem with someone buying for example a box of Cohiba EL's in 2004 for $550 sitting on them for 10 years then trying to move the box for $2000 now.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I am indifferent to it all. Do what you want as long as it's not charging an ass load on BOTL. Otherwise sell it anywhere else for all I care.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
I have a problem with someone buying a HTF box of the hot smoke right now and trying to make money on it immediately amongst BOTL's. At the same time, I do not have a problem with someone buying for example a box of Cohiba EL's in 2004 for $550 sitting on them for 10 years then trying to move the box for $2000 now.
You dont see the hypocrisy in that statement?

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I think the point is that BOTL is not the place for this. It's fine if you want to do it, but just don't do it on BOTL.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I am indifferent to it all. Do what you want as long as it's not charging an ass load on BOTL. Otherwise sell it anywhere else for all I care.
+1 on this.

And in true BOTL form, mr. phaedon, pm me your addy so I can send you an opus so you won't have to bust the cello on your tin and you can save it, collect it, sell it, decide to smoke em, whatever you want.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
You're right. I was a bit over the top but I wanted to get across how angry that stuff makes me. And your right with the point that the buyers are to blame as well.
I edited my original post so I don't offend anyone..
Hey, no worries. It annoys me when I can't find the good stuff because speculators and scalpers got it all too. That's why I choose to involve myself in communities like this one.

Nothing wrong with making money, but on this board, there is no gouging. Cigars are sold to brothers/sista's at a reasonable rate. If the seller doesn't like that, they can go elsewhere to peddle their cigars. It's about brotherhood here
Well said, with an emphasis on the word "here." It's why I'm a part of BOTL and other small, brotherly communities.

Rating - 95.7%
24   1   0
No, I don't. Number 1, $500 in 2004 is not equal to $500 in 2014 and number 2, $2000 for a intact box of Cohiba Sublimes is still less than or equal to what the fair mark value is for them now.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
No, I don't. Number 1, $500 in 2004 is not equal to $500 in 2014 and number 2, $2000 for a intact box of Cohiba Sublimes is still less than or equal to what the fair mark value is for them now.
Fair market on a box of Little Boris is now about $275, so what is the difference?

I have never understood how some people (in general mind you) blow up every time someone puts up a few Tats from a year ago for more then MSRP, but with Cubans, it is apparently ok.

Selling for more then MSRP is selling for more then MSRP. It does not matter WHAT it is. And if you (the general "you) have a problem with one, then you should have a problem with the other, no?

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Fair market on a box of Little Boris is now about $275, so what is the difference?

I have never understood how some people (in general mind you) blow up every time someone puts up a few Tats from a year ago for more then MSRP, but with Cubans, it is apparently ok.

Selling for more then MSRP is selling for more then MSRP. It does not matter WHAT it is. And if you (the general "you) have a problem with one, then you should have a problem with the other, no?
I actually think there's two separate things in Knickerbocker's example. Buying something and flipping it immediately is simply scalping - you're actually getting in the way, and taking a cut in the process. However, if you've taken the time and effort to age something over ten years, then offered it up to other smokers, you've arguably provided a service to the cigar community in some sense, as opposed to simply getting in the way.

I'm not advocating for one, the other, or both, simply making an observation that I can understand how those two things could be viewed differently.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of animosity here...

If someone is willing to pay any amount for any cigar/box of cigars then it's up to them. Nobody is forcing anyone else (BOTL or not) to buy anything.

Also, if someone here is not in line with the "BOTL ethical code", we should probably try to guide, not chastise.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
It is best to read the guidelines and follow:

Selling over MSRP

Selling over MSRP is frowned upon and discouraged. This forum is a privilege to buy, sell and trade as Brothers of the Leaf&#8482;.

However, the current trend of "limited" or "HTF (Hard To Find)" production of domestic cigars has considerably changed the second-hand market.
Unfortunately, this has created opportunities to take advantage of the situation and to make a profit at the expense of others.

To create a fair and balanced approach between the two then the following rule is now in effect. Thanks goes to Justin (twenty5) for his suggestion.

If you list a price over MSRP you MUST clearly declare the following in your sales thread

MSRP of your item
Original purchase price (equivalent to your sale)
Any state taxes
Date of purchase

Failure to do so may result in losing privileges of the Trading Zone for 30 days - no questions asked.
It's your obligation to figure if you are selling over MSRP and at the admins sole discretion if you are.

Additionally, if the admins feel or shown proof that you are grossly profiting then you will lose access indefinitely.
Please use the Report Post feature in sales threads if you feel someone is profiting from a sale without it being declared.

Status
Not open for further replies.