What's new

FYI Amazon Prime members

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
Just received an email telling my that the annual cost of the amazon prime membership will be raised to $99.... Not sure if I'm going to renew going foward now

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I will be. I've saved much more than the cost in price reductions and shipping. Plus prime video is now better than the Netflix streaming. Haven't seen a decent new movie on Netflix in months.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
Yea, it all depends on how you use it. I don't order as much as I used to from them so I need to figure out if the shipping savings is still worth it. Also I'm increasingly finding better deals from other online sites (like walmart and sometimes bestbuy) who usually have some sort of free shipping offers. I need to revisit their prime video too, I use it every so often but not enough to justify a membership based soley on that. And it is only a $1.75 a month increase over the coarse of a year, so its not that bad. Good time to figure out if its an expense I'm willing to cut

EDIT: Also, in case any of you didn't know, if a shipment arrives past the estimated deliver day for the 2 day prime shipping, Amazon will add a free month of prime membership to your account if you contact them about it

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
They seem to slowly be charging more, or doing other shady things. Isn't the free super saver shipping also up 10 bucks?
I also seen that there have been cases of them canceling/changing people subscribe and save without their consent, or informing them of the changes

Edit: I found this on slickdeals if you do plan on keeping it

INSTRUCTIONS TO LOCK IN $79 RATE
quote Originally Posted by orick
If your current Prime membership is scheduled to expire on or after April 17th, and therefore would auto-renew at the $99 price, you can effectively lock in the $79 price by taking the following steps:

(1) Look up your Prime expiration date. (Let's say yours is June 11th.)

(2) Purchase a Prime Gift Membership here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prime/p..._landin g

Set the delivery date as the date after your membership expires (in this case, June 12, 2014).

Enter your own e-mail address as the gift recipient. It is okay if this is the exact e-mail address already associated with your Amazon Prime account.

Place order (total will be $79).

(3) Turn off your Prime auto-renew.

(4) On the day after your membership expires, you will receive an e-mail from Amazon with the gift membership. Follow the instructions to apply it to your account.

This is a pretty straightforward way to save $20.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thanks for the tip spanks just bought myself a gift membership.

Prices have definitely been going up on amazon lately. I used to buy missing link in 5lb bags for my dogs at $39 bucks a bag this last round it was $53! Same with running shoes last pair I ordered were $64 now the same pair same retailer has them for $84....

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I'll keep my membership because we buy a lot of stuff through Amazon. Plus, we cut our cable TV over a year ago and bought a Roku device so Amazon Prime Video is a great thing for us. We definitely save with it

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
EDIT: Also, in case any of you didn't know, if a shipment arrives past the estimated deliver day for the 2 day prime shipping, Amazon will add a free month of prime membership to your account if you contact them about it
I've had service failures with Amazon Prime and can't figure out how to contact them. Oh, I'm SURE there's a phone number on there somewhere, but I have yet to find it:(

......... Now where'd I put that giant magnifying glass?

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
I've had service failures with Amazon Prime and can't figure out how to contact them. Oh, I'm SURE there's a phone number on there somewhere, but I have yet to find it:(

......... Now where'd I put that giant magnifying glass?
last time i had an issue i sent them an email by navigating through this page https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
They haven't raised the price of Prime in years, despite their own costs increasing, so I have no problem with it. If it was worth it to you several years ago when $79 was worth more, it likely should still be worth it to you now at $99.

I have also had very good experiences with Amazon customer service. We've had several items break or have flaws and they have always replaced them immediately. Usually they ship the replacement out right away either overnight or two day shipping, and then you have 30 days to return the defective item. Hard to find customer service like that elsewhere.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Thanks for the tip spanks just bought myself a gift membership.

Prices have definitely been going up on amazon lately. I used to buy missing link in 5lb bags for my dogs at $39 bucks a bag this last round it was $53! Same with running shoes last pair I ordered were $64 now the same pair same retailer has them for $84....
On that note, you really have to watch items at Amazon if you want a good price on them. I'll leave things in my cart and the price swings on some items are pretty large. Amazon doesn't advertise the lowest rock bottom price and keep it there. They definitely study the consumer, sprinkle in some algorithm and try to factor in when is the likeliest time that item will be bought and price accordingly.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've been a member for years, but it's the insane fluctuation in Subscribe and Save prices that usually upset me. How can a grocery item cost $11 one month, and $19 the next? You can't tell me their cost goes up that much in one month. Here's an example of one that really had me p*ssed. I have an extreme gluten allergy, and use Hogson Mills GF mix in all my baking. I found it on Amazon, 8 boxes for $11 with S&S. The next month the price went up to $14, but what I didn't realize until I received my shipment, is that now it's only 4 boxes. 8 for $11 ($1.37) one month. 4 for $14 ($3.50) the next. A 255% price increase in one month. Sometimes I wonder if the whole S&S is nothing but a con game. Entice you with a great deal one month, and then jack up the price the next, hoping folks won't realize it until after it ships.

Even for single purchase items, I'm starting to find much better deals elsewhere. A couple months ago, I had to replace 2 motorized zone valves and an Aquastat control box on my oil furnace. An online plumbing/heating supply store had the parts for 30% less then Amazon, with included next day shipping. Last month I found an item that I could buy for less, directly from the manufacturer's web site. Sad when you would pay more as an Amazon Prime member, then if you just bought it for full retail at the manufacturer's site.

Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
They seem to slowly be charging more, or doing other shady things. Isn't the free super saver shipping also up 10 bucks?
I also seen that there have been cases of them canceling/changing people subscribe and save without their consent, or informing them of the changes

Edit: I found this on slickdeals if you do plan on keeping it

INSTRUCTIONS TO LOCK IN $79 RATE
quote Originally Posted by orick
If your current Prime membership is scheduled to expire on or after April 17th, and therefore would auto-renew at the $99 price, you can effectively lock in the $79 price by taking the following steps:

(1) Look up your Prime expiration date. (Let's say yours is June 11th.)

(2) Purchase a Prime Gift Membership here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prime/p..._landin g

Set the delivery date as the date after your membership expires (in this case, June 12, 2014).

Enter your own e-mail address as the gift recipient. It is okay if this is the exact e-mail address already associated with your Amazon Prime account.

Place order (total will be $79).

(3) Turn off your Prime auto-renew.

(4) On the day after your membership expires, you will receive an e-mail from Amazon with the gift membership. Follow the instructions to apply it to your account.

This is a pretty straightforward way to save $20.
I forgot about this last month and just went back to check it out, but they've already raised the price.
Just an FYI for anyone else that comes across this...