What's new

G.L. Pease - Gaslight - PToM Mar 2015 (Pipe Tobacco of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

GASLIGHT
Brand:
G.L. Pease
Blend Type: English
Contents: Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Flavoring: None
Cut: Plug
Packaging: 2oz Tin, 8oz Tin

"From the label:

On a misty, moonless night, along twisted cobblestone lanes illuminated only by the glow of ancient iron lanterns, you follow a scent as dark as the night itself, the exotic fragrance hauntingly familiar, compelling, irresistible...
Open the tin. Discover the mystery.​

Gaslight is the seventh blend to join the Old London Series, and is a bit of a departure. A classically English styled Latakia mixture, pressed and aged in cakes, then cut and delivered in one-ounce bars. Easier to handle then the two-ounce brownies of JackKnife and Triple Play, these bars are sliced easily, and rub out effortlessly. Deep, rich and full flavoured, Gaslight burns very slowly, delivering a lingering, satisfying smoke for the true connoisseur of Latakia based blends. The red virginias present a background of natural sweetness, whilst fine orientals provide just the right amount of spice. I like it best sliced thinly, rubbed out and packed loosely in smaller bowls for a satisfying, surprisingly long-lasting smoke.

Gaslight was introduced in October, 2013" - Greg Pease

Prior PToM reviews can be found HERE

Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
To spice things up a bit this year, I'm going to start doing a little giveaway each month.
For each person that reviews the PToM, I'll add a half ounce sample to the pot, up to a max of 2oz. total. Then, at the end of the month, I'll draw a winner from the lot who posted reviews and send them their winnings. Just a little juice to hopefully boost participation. Reviews don't need to be in any special format or super in-depth, just let us know what you thought of the PToM, what you liked, what you didn't. Maybe what it reminded you of. Pictures are great, too. Just share your thoughts, enjoy, and have fun.
Cool draws & sweet smokes, Brothers!

REVIEWS:
thedismaltrade
dharbolt <= WINNER
SeaGarr
Mathen

Project Link: http://www.randompicker.com/protocol/185652x57401

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Gaslight begins with the sweet Virginia's progresses quickly into the smooth deep Latakia. The snork with gaslight produces a mild coffee and chocolate blend for me. The last third of the bowl is mainly Latakia. The blend burns very cool and smooth. The snork produces no burn it all in the sinuses and brings about that consistent coffee and chocolate nuances.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Finally broke into my tin of gaslight today.

Smoke was very dry and cool. Light to medium body, started out smokey with nice plum or dark cherry notes (licorice? ) in the background.

About half way through the bowl it started to take on a distinct licorice and coffee character. Tasted similar to a uf13, reminded me of Dr pepper.

A bit lighter than I usually seek out but a nice baccy overall.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to have my first bowl tonight. I'll wait on a review until I have at least a couple - looking forward to it!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To heck with it - I'll give you my neophyte review/impressions now while the enthusiasm level is high. Please don't enter me into the contest though :).

To start, I cut two very thin slices off the plug against the grain. It might not have been the hardest plug I have cut into, but it was the easiest to break apart once cut. It just fell apart for me really - which was really rather nice. Loaded the pipe, and went outside to give it a whirl.

It took some effort to light, and I noted it didn't rise much at all... if at all. I tamped it to be sure as I had loaded my bowl rather full, but all I did was put it out. So I relit.

The amount of smoke this tobacco puts out struck me first. Quite a lot actually. Cigar-like almost. The second thing I noted was how very balanced the smoke was. There is flavour, but it blends in with the others very well giving it a dry creamy texture. Lovely... complex? Maybe.

It smokes rather slow, never getting hot. I get dirt (I like dirt) and a subtle spice. As the bowl works down, the spice lands squarely in the center of my tongue and stays the course - never harsh though - recall the balance. Another neat surprise is the saliva to the back of my mouth tastes very much like undercooked bread. Doeish. Nom, nom.

All said and done, a nice dry balanced tobacco. I taste no flavoring and I thoroughly enjoyed it until the end. For some reason, at the end in a heartbeat, the last 1/8 or 1/10th of my bowl got a bit rancid. Rather than hoping it would pass, I called it a bowl. Too good a blend to bastardize at the end like that. It might have been my pipe - but I think it's because the tobacco was really moist. Not sure.

This will never be an everyday blend for me (I don't think), but it will be a nice way to end a night on many an occasion when I want some depth but not too much vitamin "N."

Rating - 100%
11   0   0

Smoking in: eBay estate Savenelli-- if you take that to mean cheap with a replacement stem, you'd be right

Method of preparation: I just ripped a hunk off the plug and rubbed it between my palms until it was well broken up. Blasphemous? Maybe. But simple.

Tin note: leather and raisins maybe? Definitely a hint of sweetness behind the leather smell.

Initial light: Took four matches and three tampings to get it good and lit. Once it decides to stay tamped and going though, it becomes low maintenance. Starts out with a little bite on the front of the tongue and the center of the roof of my mouth, but mellows quickly.

As it's going: The smoke volume is nice. I still consider myself a cigar guy rather than a pipe guy so the volume always seems a little weak to me, but, this produces well for pipe tobacco. The mouth feel of the smoke is lighter than expected with the brightness of the Virginia's very prominent and some of that leather from the tin notes there. There is some pepper on the nose.

There is one very prominent note throughout this bowl and I can't quite place my finger on it. Until I figure out how to describe it, this will drive me nuts.

Alright, I can't figure out what this note is. It'll dawn on me one of these days. Until then, let me give my overall impression.

First, I love the name, packaging, marketing, and plug format. Kudos to GL Pease. Seriously. I feel like this particular blend is a bit of a waste of all that good creativity though because this is relatively mild, "thin", and one dimensional. With a name like gas light, I want it badly to be rich, earthy, and complex. The taste doesn't evoke a blend you would smoke to fortify yourself on a foggy London night. Not to me at least.

That's not to say I don't like it. I think this would be a great blend if you're playing cards with friends. Or really any situation where you want to smoke something but the smoke is not your main focus. I also think (and I'm going to have to try) pairing this with a scotch or bourbon tasting. Because one thing this blend is not, is over powering.

Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
With an extremely generous surprise from @plumber1965, he sent me a tin of this baccy. So even though March is over, I'd like to try and take a stab at a review.
Please do!
We don't get enough reviews on the site. The cigar reviews have picked up a tic, but we can use more baccy reviews, too!
Ideally, these will continue to get added to got a long time to come!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Please do!
We don't get enough reviews on the site. The cigar reviews have picked up a tic, but we can use more baccy reviews, too!
Ideally, these will continue to get added to got a long time to come!
Awesome. Just have to get through the work marathon next couple of days and wait for a nice day outside to smoke. Then I'm set.

Doc Sixstring

Patience and practice
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on, this is one of my favourites and I've been waiting to have a reason to "officially" review it

Tin Aroma: Strong. Leathery, woody, the bold, almost musty kind of smell that greets you when you walk into a log cabin.

Taste: Initially: wow, latakia. Experimented with faster and slower puffs which yielded heavy lat and smooth, creamy mellow notes respectively. Sometimes borders on very faint cocoa sweetness

Strength and Nicotine: Can't make much comment on this one since I'm fairly nicotine-tolerant. I've seen people put it at 4/5

Smokeability: Very. When you’re in the mood for a walk in the woods but don't want to get up and go, this is a suitable substitute.

Room Note: Campfire. Thick, and bold.

Thoughts: Fantastic smoke. One of my favourites. Probably have a good sized meal beforehand for best results

Recommend to: Anyone. This one was very early in my tobacco discoveries and I've hung onto it since.

Summary: Great smoke if you enjoy bold flavours and strength.

Doc Sixstring

Patience and practice
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got some from @plumber1965 and would still like to review it anyway. And like @cgraunke said too, we could use more reviews of some baccy.
Something I didn't mention - I find Gaslight to smoke best when it's a few months old. My initial experience with it was a fresh tin - one that had been canned that very month - and damn was it foul. I let it sit for 3 months and then it really sang. Seemed to develop immensely in a very short time, as many Pease blends do.