What's new

G.L. Pease Key Largo - PToM, August 2014 (Pipe Tobacco of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

G.L. PEASE KEY LARGO
Brand: G.L. Pease
Blend Type: Cigar Leaf Based
Contents: Cigar Leaf, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Flavoring: None
Cut: Broken Flake
Packaging: 2oz Tin

"Deep, Earthy and Creamy. A distinguished broken flake of Red Virginia tobaccos, small leaf orientals, and a measure of Cyprus Latakia, spiced with velvety cigar wrapper leaf. Key Largo develops throughout the bowl, offering a satisfying and sturdy smoking experience, with beautifully balanced, richly textured layers of cocoa, dark roasted coffee, leather, and a lively, lingering finish. "

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Smoking it right now in a MM Mark Twain. Guys this is one of the best blends out- period. Coffee, chocolate, spice on the snork. Try it with a cuppa and you'll be in heaven. I never have detected the cigar wrapper in this blend but it's awesome. There is a good bit of spice I'm guessing from the orientals. Sometime I need to smoke all these tobaccos alone so I can be better at telling what's playing in a blend. Oh well, anyway, this blend is also a great summer blend- not heavy and leaves no nasty coating on your palate. It's VA forward to me (a sweet VA) then soft Latakia. I'm really excited that this blend won as I think it will be a big hit with most of our piping group. One last thing- puff slowly with this one. Puff on!

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I got two tins, still only smoked 4 bowls though really like it, can definately recognize the cigar leaf, more so than other blends with cigar leaf, I do like the small amount of Latakia out of what I've smoked half the time it got a bit harsh at the end/ last 1/4

I would recommend this to anyone that enjoys cigars in addition to the pipe and I think it was a good choice for ptom

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Was planning on getting some with a bnb coupon and it showed outta stock when I was gonna order. I'll get the next one
Even if you don't get to try this now definately put it on the to try list
It is! I'm holding onto the groupon till I find out what out next Botm is gonna be, and hopefully also pick some of this up

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have yet to crack the tin since mine arrived. I'm not even sure I've smoked anything at all since then...

Need more hours in the day...

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So, this PToM got me interested in trying several cigar leaf pipe tobaccos. One of them I added to my order was C&D Chopped Cigar Leaf. Upon further investigation this is for blending. Oops.

So, what styles could I add some of this to and hope for good results?

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
So, this PToM got me interested in trying several cigar leaf pipe tobaccos. One of them I added to my order was C&D Chopped Cigar Leaf. Upon further investigation this is for blending. Oops.

GLP Robusto is a good cigar leaf blend.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
What cigar leaf is used? I hate how pipe tobacco manufacturers lump it all together into one category not noting how nuanced cigar tobacco can be....
and yet the cigar side is using "fire cured... X?". it ain't just the pipe blenders. hell, half the time pipe manufacturers use "virginia" without actually mentioning that is a varietal and not a designation of origin. i mean, zimbabwe?!? didn't even know any leaf was harvested outside of cameroon.

but i get you. i cannot swear to it, but to me it tasted like a seco, possibly dominican, but it's hard for me to pick apart from the rest of the blend as of yet.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0

GLP Robusto is a good cigar leaf blend.
Perhaps C&D Purple Cow then?

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I haven't opened my tin of Key Largo, but I did order a couple cigar leaf blends when I ordered it. One of which was Habana Daydream, which I finally got around to tasting.

It reminded me of a lat blend more than a cigar flavor. I smoked it in a mini cob to get a feel for it before putting it in one of my briars. Do you guys think it makes sense to smoke cigar lead and latakia blends in the same briar? I'm thinking so, based on today's experience, but I wanted to get a second opinion.