What's new

G.L. Pease Navigator - PToM Nov 2015 (Pipe Tobacco of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

NAVIGATOR
Brand:
G.L. Pease
Blend Type: VA/Bur
Contents: Kentucky Burley, Virginia
Flavoring: Rum
Cut: Flake
Packaging: 2oz Tin, 8oz Tin, 16oz Tin

From glpease.com:
Navigator, the sixth blend to join the Old London Series, has been created specifically for the fancier of fuller-bodied, but still well-balanced and sophisticated flakes. The addition of a bit of dark-fired leaf brings depth and complexity to the party, a touch of rum makes the red and bright flue-cured tobaccos dance, enhancing their natural fruitiness and polishing the edges. The pressing and aging in cakes brings it all together into seamless harmony.
As with Sextant, the flakes are easily broken and rubbed out to your preference. The smoke develops beautifully in the bowl, each sip satisfying, rich, and perfectly balanced.
Navigator was introduced in December 2012​

From the label:
For centuries, men of the sea have known the pleasures of fine Virginia tobaccos, pressed and aged with a drop of rum. The addition of rich dark-fired Kentucky leaf brings a new dimension to the flavor and aroma of this timeless combination. Chart your course for a new world of enjoyment, light a bowl, and set sail with Navigator​

Prior PToM reviews can be found HERE

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
To spice things up a bit this year, I'm going to start doing a little giveaway each month.
For each person that reviews the PToM, I'll add a half ounce sample to the pot, up to a max of 2oz. total. Then, at the end of the month, I'll draw a winner from the lot who posted reviews and send them their winnings. Just a little juice to hopefully boost participation. Reviews don't need to be in any special format or super in-depth, just let us know what you thought of the PToM, what you liked, what you didn't. Maybe what it reminded you of. Pictures are great, too. Just share your thoughts, enjoy, and have fun.
Cool draws & sweet smokes, Brothers!

REVIEWS:
@javelin377
@K Williams
@stin187

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Since I have raved about this blend but not given a true review I'll give it a shot.

Been smoking Navigator all month. Being from Kentucky and growing up around burley production any thing with Kentucky Dark Fired leaf peaks my interest. Here's my thoughts.

The rum is there. Not a lot. Not heavy but it's there. I don't really taste it, I smell it.

There is a sweetness from the Virginias. Just like you'd expect. A clean burning, mellow Virginia. Sweet, but not fake sweet. Light, airy smoke.

KY leaf is bold. To me at least. In your face smoky. Not here. I guess it's tamed by the Virginias. The flavor is there. I like it. But it's like the KY tries to come out screaming and the VA's bitch slap it back into check. Perfect.

I've smoked it in briar and cob. It smokes best for me in a Mark Twian cob. I have one dedicated to Navigator.

Smoked it morning, noon and night. I find it best in the morning. I may be biased on that though because that's my favorite bowl of the day. The first one. And here lately it's been Navigator.

Edit:
I forgot to add that the nautical compass on the tin is so bad ass, I've considered tattooing it on my forearm. I have been eyeing a compass design for a while and I like that one. May never happen, but who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk