What's new

gardening

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Looking good

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks Jake! I was really just trying to wrangle it back into control after so long, but it’s coming along great!

@Glassman very impressive garden. You should enjoy a great harvest.
Thanks! Hopefully so. We’ve eaten a lot of broccoli, cabbage and lettuce already. Cherry tomatoes are starting to come in and looking like the other stuff is really gonna put out! I’ve been better about side dressing this year and staying on top of things. All the prior years of soil amendments and the heavy applications of compost and good mulching are really paying off big time.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I didn't plant my raised bed this year and and just concentrating on amendment the soil with bark fines, composted cow manure, worm castings, rabbit manure and alpaca poo, crushed charcoal and some pulverized rock dust. The soil had turned to compacted clay. I have a fair amount of home compost that will be added in about a month or this fall and then plant a cover crop of either carrots or alfalfa that I will till in next spring. I am focusing on keeping it weed free. Next year I hope to have much healthier garden soil. We have been hot and dry so I have been soaking it good to promote attracting worms.

IMG_4273.JPG

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
for the first time, squirrels are eating my tomatoes. tried the cayenne spray. I think these squirrels are coming up from the border, as they love that hot chit! anyone have a quick fix to this problem? They've grabbed every tomato that starts to turn...

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Build a fence around your garden and let your dog spend his time there. Did you try the owl decoy?

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
for the first time, squirrels are eating my tomatoes. tried the cayenne spray. I think these squirrels are coming up from the border, as they love that hot chit! anyone have a quick fix to this problem? They've grabbed every tomato that starts to turn...
Suppressed 22? :LOL: Or I guess a pellet gun... ;)

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Best pest solution I've ever utilized

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Is it hot and dry where you live? I think they mostly go for the ripening tomatoes for the moisture content. I usually use my pellet rifle and substantially thin the herd. Last year I got 9 and it helped a lot. All taken inside my garden.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
I live on a canyon. Everyone I hit with a pellet gun three more come back. Tried the decoy, it didn’t work. Going to build a chicken wire cage around it. Or just buy the damn tomatoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
17   0   0

Try putting Blood meal around your tomatoes and when they show the very first hint of showing pink on the bottom of the tomato, pick them and let them finish ripening in the kitchen (window sill or counter top). They will ripen just as tasty as staying on the plant.