What's new

Gawith & Hoggarth Brown Flake Vanilla - PToM Apr 2016 (Pipe Tobacco of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

BROWN FLAKE VANILLA
Brand:
Gawith Hoggarth & Co.
Blend Type: Aro
Contents: Burley, Virginia
Flavoring: Vanilla, Sugar
Cut: Flake
Packaging: Bulk

From gqtobaccos.com: (shop this was originally blended for, prior to the recent US release)
After a number of conversations at the Nottingham pipe club, we have decided to have Gawith Hoggarth make us some interesting new flakes. While there are a few Vanilla flakes out there at the moment, most tend to be fairly golden Virginia & Burley blends and we wanted something a little richer. With Gawith Hoggarths Brown flake being a staple for thousands of smokers around the world, it seemed the obvious choice to go for. So what began life as this classic blend of the high quality Virginias with a little Burley. The selection of Virginias makes for a cool and smooth smoke, while the burly adds a little more body.

The use of natural Vanilla extracts and simple sugars makes for a tobacco which smells good enough to eat. As soon as you open the bag, you are greeted with what reminds us all of Vanilla fudge, but of course its how it smokes that matters. As with all of Gawith Hoggarths flavourings, the flavour comes through well and last throughout the bowl. The sweet and highly aromatic Vanilla taste combines stunningly with the nutty and tasty flake.​

Prior PToM reviews can be found HERE

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
back ordered on P&C... where else can it be found?
Oh, wow, that went fast! I got mine ordered there last night. It was also in stock at smokingpipes.com and gqtobaccos.com but those were the only places I checked.
Otherwise, backorder items at P&C tend to turn around rather quickly.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thanks for the sample @cgraunke. I want to get to a review ASAP when I get some free time and the weather holds up.

Seems like smokingpipes.com, P&C are all sold out or have been removed from the website. Unless, I looked in the wrong places. I can't find this baccy anywhere except GQ tobaccos.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Smoked my first bowl today, needs some dry time, notice a bit of sticky sweet vanilla while preparing, can separate the brown flake which is nice and full but don't think the Lakeland and vanilla compliment each other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iholmes

I-hole
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Smoked a couple bows of this fantastic smelling flake this past weekend. Admittedly I had reservations pre-light based on one line reviews by the one and only @cgraunke but I told him I would review the baccy so here it is!

Tin note: fantastic dark brown burley flavors that I love so much along with a subtle vanilla lingering note

Room note: everyone that was around the table while I smoked my cob full of brown vanilla flake was brought back to memories of their grandfathers. Not one person was offended by the scent and every single one of them went on and on about how wonderful the aroma was.

Unfortunately that's where the good things about this tobacco end for me. After those two I really wanted to love this stuff but had such a hard time finishing the second bowl. After first light there was an odd flavor that I couldn't grasp until halfway thru. It turned out to be a heavy grandmothers perfume flavor (not ideal for me). Later in the bowl I found nice and sweet floral notes but the perfume essence really killed it for me.

I'm not sure if I would smoke more of this but it is nice to know a blend that no one can be offended by.

Thanks again @cgraunke for the opportunity to review and I look forward to reviewing more in the future! Hopefully May is something I already have a tin of

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Here goes my review of some Brown Flake Vanilla:
Sampling thanks to Clint @cgraunke. I finally had a nice day to sit outside and light this up.

Baggie note- A very pronounced smell of vanilla, almost like a vanilla frosting.
Room notes- I was outside by myself and when my family came home nobody complained of any smells, so that was a win in my book.
Pipe used- Brandon Brooks bourbon barrel ring pipe on its inaugural run
What I was drinking- Breckenridge Bourbon Whiskey and bottled water

Took me quite a few lights to get the tobacco lit. It was a little frustrating but I made it work. I probably just made the rookie mistake to just jump in and smoke instead of giving the tobacco a little bit of drying time once rubbed out, ready for packing into the bowl.

The vanilla presented itself really nice for the first few minutes. I picked up mostly the sweetness, earthy and floral notes. The sugary almost vanilla frosting taste disappeared within a few puffs which was a letdown as I was expecting it to be there throughout. The sweetness of the tobacco held out though and made it enjoyable. The floral notes popped in and out on occasion, usually after a puff or two soon after my tamping and constant relights, which again I guessed because the tobacco didn't have any drying time.

Took roughly 45 minutes to smoke beginning to end. I'd say a mild-medium tobacco not full bodied at all.

I enjoyed trying out a new to me tobacco and plan to revisit again since I have 1 flake left. And thank you again Clint for sending me a small sampling to try for the month!

Last edited: