What's new

General cigar co. Acquiring toraño family cigars

Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Interesting post from Jack Torano's post.... looks like this was a decision made by one or maybe two of the family members...

I write this with a sadness that previously I had only felt with the death of a loved one. As most of you have heard by now, Toraño Cigars, the company founded by my grandfather and father, has been sold to General Cigars. The shocking news was delivered this morning at 8 am and the past 6 hours have been a blur. While the name Toraño will continue in this industry, for the first time in 98 years, a member of our family will not be involved. It has been an amazing journey for me these past 3 years working alongside my cousins. My travels have taken around this great country and I've had the pleasure of meeting some amazing people. Far too many to mention. I do want to personally thank my cousin Charlie Toraño for the opportunity and my cousin Carlos Llaca for guiding me every step of the way. I also want to thank our entire team Miguel M. Schoedel, Armando R. Lapido, Brian McGee, Frank Cuden and Calvin Woods Jr for all their hard road work. Our great office staff Mary Loly, Luz and German. My man Sam Leccia and Sasha Knecht Leccia, you guys have a very special place in my heart. I've also learned so much working alongside our graphics superstar Humberto M. Areas. I will miss you all but you never know, our paths may one day bring us back together. So no goodbyes from me, only an I'll see you soon, as we were all much more than coworkers, we are friends!

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just read the article. Man, I didn't realize that the same company that owns General (ST) also owns CI and all their companies, meaning in effect they also own all of CI's brands like 5 Vegas. Before long it'll all be owned by Comcast-Time Warner, anyway.... This country is truly becoming a corporatocracy!

If it's any consolation, "a press release issued by General Cigar Co. claims production will remain unchanged" which I guess means they'll be the same cigars.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
but you never know, our paths may one day bring us back together.

OH PLEASE... we can only hope

"a press release issued by General Cigar Co. claims production will remain unchanged" which I guess means they'll be the same cigars.

I feel like this is just them trying to have some PR. But like everything general touches, they ruin.

Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Just read the article. Man, I didn't realize that the same company that owns General (ST) also owns CI and all their companies, meaning in effect they also own all of CI's brands like 5 Vegas. Before long it'll all be owned by Comcast-Time Warner, anyway.... This country is truly becoming a corporatocracy!

If it's any consolation, "a press release issued by General Cigar Co. claims production will remain unchanged" which I guess means they'll be the same cigars.
It is one very big company. They (SM) also have a partnership with Phillip Morris as well through a joint venture.

Keep in mind, they never say they are going to change the cigars, but they always have in the past.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
... Keep in mind, they never say they are going to change the cigars, but they always have in the past.
anyone remember when ernesto was making la gloria and el rico in miami? before general?

in all fairness, there are still guys who like CAO's current production blends. and their new post merger blends. i hope they do maintain the integrity of the blends. hell, CI blowout special, box of vault corona gorda and a beanie with a propeller on it for 49.99? i'm in! but it really makes me sad that a company that big couldn't integrate such a small work force. i've met a couple of those guys, and they're solid people. and, yes, sometimes the biggest out there kinda sucks to work with, and i could see a lot of retailers scaling back their torano stock because of this. and i can't blame them.

and, seriously, la gloria maduro torpedos from miami, OMG. o)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
165   0   0
I feel bad for the people I know at Torano that I know like Carlos Llaca-Torano, and one of the best reps in the business, Armando. Both are great guys, who would be a great fit at any company.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Honestly most of the appeal of that company was it's sales team. They were one of the best in the business. I wanted to go to the events just to catch up with Miguel. I realize you have to have a good product but the rep does make a huge difference.

Rating - 100%
165   0   0
Honestly most of the appeal of that company was it's sales team. They were one of the best in the business. I wanted to go to the events just to catch up with Miguel. I realize you have to have a good product but the rep does make a huge difference.
Absolutely agree. The reps are the local face of the brand. Those relationships can dictate local success. If a company has enough reps like that it can lead to national success of a brand.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sad news indeed. The 1916, Exodus Silver and Exodus 50 year are go to smokes for me. General may keep the blends, but they won't be rolled from the same quality of tobacco. Of course this won't keep CI from making up more of their fictional descriptions. Probably have some line about Charlie hand inspecting each cigar. Just look at the BS story they've been running for the past 3 years on the CI owned dog rocket "Torano" Noventa.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
General will ruin this line without question. They will use cheap tobacco and cheaper construction methods...which will leave Toranos mushy flavorless shadows of their former selves....stinks..