What's new

General Note For Each Marca?

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
This is going to be a difficult question to answer, and I accept that...but I figured I would ask anyways.

I'm curious what the general tasting notes would be by marca. For example...Por Larranaga maybe Vanilla and Caramel? Cohiba grassiness? You get the picture.

I know it is going to vary by vitola as well.

Anyone want to give it a shot?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
These are coming from a CC newbie but

Cohiba - honey, grassy, creamy
Monte - toasted tobacco, slightly sweet
Partagas - spicy, sweet
H. Upmann - similar to Monte
Bolivar - earthy flavor
PL - caramel with vegetal flavors

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
^ not too far off with the reply above...but I strongly disagree with the Upmann resembling Monte.

For me:

Monte - milk chocolate, cream, wood, spice
Upmann - toasty (bread), nut, leather, spice

Occasionally I'll get mild chocolate in the Magnum line, but that's about it. The rest of the marca I've smoked I've not found chocolate whatsoever.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found this info on a Mexican vendor site. Since I can't link directly to the site, I'll paste the relevant info here. I can't vouch for the accuracy of it all personally, but it has been a good guideline for a newb like myself.

Habanos Flavor Profiles:

Light:
  • Fonseca
  • Vegueros
  • Hoyo de Monterrey
  • Guantanamera
  • Rafael Gonzalez
Light to Medium:
  • El Rey del Mundo
  • H. Upmann
  • Cabañas
  • Romeo y Julieta
  • La Gloria Cubana
  • Quai d’ Orsay
  • San Cristóbal de la Habana
Medium
  • Cohíba
  • Sancho Panza
  • Montecristo
  • Vegas Robaina
  • Diplomático
  • Flor de Cano
  • Edmundo Dantes
Medium to Full
  • Cuaba
  • José L. Piedra
  • Juan López
  • Quintero
  • Trinidad
Full
  • Bolívar
  • Partagas
  • Ramon Allones
  • Saint Luís Rey
  • Punch
Flavors
  • Bolivar - Rich taste, tangy flavors & strong toasted tobacco flavor.
  • Cohiba - Pleasant, grassy taste with strong bean flavors; vanilla, cocoa & coffee.
  • Cuaba - Aggressive tobacco flavor, herbs, woodiness, grassy bluntness.
  • Flor de Juan Lopez – Pleasant, moderate – strong tobacco taste with a woody flavor & aftertaste.
  • Fonseca - Aromatic, herbal flavors with a mild sugary sweetness and a hint of vanilla, honey and saltiness.
  • Hoyo de Monterrey - Soft, sweet flavors, creamy, mild & aromatic with some woodiness and hints of orange peel.
  • H. Upmann - Suave taste, with a heavy bean flavors and hints of caramel & coffee.
  • La Gloria Cubana - Pleasant aroma with flavors of cedar, caramel & citric zest.
  • Montecristo - Rich, traditional toasted tobacco flavor, with a roasted nut undertones.
  • Partagas - Heavy, earthy flavor, with hints of leather & black pepper.
  • Punch - Spicy with pleasant woody flavors and hints of peppers, black and white
  • Quai d’ Orsay – a grassy quality mild toasted tobacco with a faint sugary sweetness
  • Ramon Allones – toasted tobacco flavor, with some fruitiness, especially dark berries
  • Rey del Mundo - Mild, sweet taste, with honey, coffee & vanilla compliments, a very unique and pleasant aroma.
  • Romeo y Julieta - Very complex with changing flavors; oak, nutty, floral & often tangy.
  • San Cristobal de la Habana - Tastes of Wood, honey and hints of white pepper
  • San Luis Rey - Nutty, bean flavors with some hint of saltiness.
  • Sancho Panza - Subtle grassy flavor, a strong saltiness & some woody sweetness.
  • Trinidad - Pleasant mild tobacco taste with strong bean flavors; vanilla, cocoa and coffee with a honey after-taste.
  • Vegas Robaina – Smooth tobacco taste, leather with subtle pepper and herbal qualities.
  • Vegueros - Mildly herbaceous taste with hints of mintiness

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the run down! I've been wanting to expand my Habano collection, but it always seems that I get unsure of trying something new because I don't know the flavor profile and don't want to buy an entire box of something that I might really dislike. This helps a lot!

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I found this info on a Mexican vendor site. Since I can't link directly to the site, I'll paste the relevant info here. I can't vouch for the accuracy of it all personally, but it has been a good guideline for a newb like myself.

Habanos Flavor Profiles:

Light:
  • Fonseca
  • Vegueros
  • Hoyo de Monterrey
  • Guantanamera
  • Rafael Gonzalez
Light to Medium:
  • El Rey del Mundo
  • H. Upmann
  • Cabañas
  • Romeo y Julieta
  • La Gloria Cubana
  • Quai d’ Orsay
  • San Cristóbal de la Habana
Medium
  • Cohíba
  • Sancho Panza
  • Montecristo
  • Vegas Robaina
  • Diplomático
  • Flor de Cano
  • Edmundo Dantes
Medium to Full
  • Cuaba
  • José L. Piedra
  • Juan López
  • Quintero
  • Trinidad
Full
  • Bolívar
  • Partagas
  • Ramon Allones
  • Saint Luís Rey
  • Punch
Flavors
  • Bolivar - Rich taste, tangy flavors & strong toasted tobacco flavor.
  • Cohiba - Pleasant, grassy taste with strong bean flavors; vanilla, cocoa & coffee.
  • Cuaba - Aggressive tobacco flavor, herbs, woodiness, grassy bluntness.
  • Flor de Juan Lopez – Pleasant, moderate – strong tobacco taste with a woody flavor & aftertaste.
  • Fonseca - Aromatic, herbal flavors with a mild sugary sweetness and a hint of vanilla, honey and saltiness.
  • Hoyo de Monterrey - Soft, sweet flavors, creamy, mild & aromatic with some woodiness and hints of orange peel.
  • H. Upmann - Suave taste, with a heavy bean flavors and hints of caramel & coffee.
  • La Gloria Cubana - Pleasant aroma with flavors of cedar, caramel & citric zest.
  • Montecristo - Rich, traditional toasted tobacco flavor, with a roasted nut undertones.
  • Partagas - Heavy, earthy flavor, with hints of leather & black pepper.
  • Punch - Spicy with pleasant woody flavors and hints of peppers, black and white
  • Quai d’ Orsay – a grassy quality mild toasted tobacco with a faint sugary sweetness
  • Ramon Allones – toasted tobacco flavor, with some fruitiness, especially dark berries
  • Rey del Mundo - Mild, sweet taste, with honey, coffee & vanilla compliments, a very unique and pleasant aroma.
  • Romeo y Julieta - Very complex with changing flavors; oak, nutty, floral & often tangy.
  • San Cristobal de la Habana - Tastes of Wood, honey and hints of white pepper
  • San Luis Rey - Nutty, bean flavors with some hint of saltiness.
  • Sancho Panza - Subtle grassy flavor, a strong saltiness & some woody sweetness.
  • Trinidad - Pleasant mild tobacco taste with strong bean flavors; vanilla, cocoa and coffee with a honey after-taste.
  • Vegas Robaina – Smooth tobacco taste, leather with subtle pepper and herbal qualities.
  • Vegueros - Mildly herbaceous taste with hints of mintiness

Good breakdown