What's new

Generic cigars from Nica at B&M

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the humidor at Cigar Room in NJ there is a big cabinet of nice looking cigars. The only marking is a Nicaraguan export seal on the cabinet. The cigars are unbanded. Price is 4$ each. The guy at the store says they are from My Father.

What's the story with cigars like this? Why aren't they just banded and sold as a brand? Are they made with lower quality tobacco?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Never tried them personally but from what I've read, 7 or 8 out of the bundle of 20 they usually come in are good. So i guess it really depends on the stick and the cost.

ghe

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe Don Pepin sells any "seconds" from his own brands. He does, however, make lots of cigars for other people and these could be among them. As for why unbanded bundles and what they're made from, it varies tremendously. Without doubt, the tobacco is not as high grade or fermented and aged as long. Typically, the wrappers in particular are leaves that didn't make the grade for banded, brand-name smokes. It could be cosmetic, it could be texture or any of many reasons that may or may not dramatically affect the taste. Binder is often even lower grade and the filler leaves typically are those that don't make the cut for better cigars. And since the unbanded bundles are usually made of "take what you can get cheap" tobacco there's little or no consistency from batch to batch. They are also sometimes used as the raw material for apprentice rollers, so construction can be quite erratic. You may buy them one time and then find the next bundle is much different in taste, burn, draw, etc.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
So clearly something I shouldnt ever consider. Maybe Im a cheapskate, but I expect even a low budget cigar to up to a certain standard, in look, smell, feel, etc.

I will stay away from "seconds".

-Chrisso

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So clearly something I shouldnt ever consider. Maybe Im a cheapskate, but I expect even a low budget cigar to up to a certain standard, in look, smell, feel, etc.

I will stay away from "seconds".

-Chrisso
You might want to reconsider that statement before you try some. There are some good seconds out there.....

ghe

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AmmoEd is absolutely right. Many, many people smoke and enjoy seconds and unbanded bundles.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe Don Pepin sells any "seconds" from his own brands. He does, however, make lots of cigars for other people and these could be among them. As for why unbanded bundles and what they're made from, it varies tremendously. Without doubt, the tobacco is not as high grade or fermented and aged as long. Typically, the wrappers in particular are leaves that didn't make the grade for banded, brand-name smokes. It could be cosmetic, it could be texture or any of many reasons that may or may not dramatically affect the taste. Binder is often even lower grade and the filler leaves typically are those that don't make the cut for better cigars. And since the unbanded bundles are usually made of "take what you can get cheap" tobacco there's little or no consistency from batch to batch. They are also sometimes used as the raw material for apprentice rollers, so construction can be quite erratic. You may buy them one time and then find the next bundle is much different in taste, burn, draw, etc.
Thanks, this really answers my question. Also, thanks for all the other replies.

I smoke at most one or two sticks a week, so I'm rarely on the lookout for no-frills budget smokes like this one. Funny thing is that I wish I had gotten one for some reason. The big cabinet they came in just looked so cool.

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The term "seconds" is thrown around a lot and is used to describe things that aren't really inferior cigars pulled from production because they don't meet appearance or length standards.

That being said, I know of at least a few retailers who will close out a brand by taking the bands off and selling the cigars naked.

As for why unbanded bundles and what they're made from, it varies tremendously. Without doubt, the tobacco is not as high grade or fermented and aged as long. Typically, the wrappers in particular are leaves that didn't make the grade for banded, brand-name smokes. It could be cosmetic, it could be texture or any of many reasons that may or may not dramatically affect the taste.
A blanket statement like the bolded just seems dangerous and not true. Tatuaje Miami FFs are one of a few things that come to mind where the tobacco fermentation and quality wasn't the issue.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Some 2nds are quite good. Some unbanded sticks, and some bundled sticks are quite good as well. Of course, there is also some crap. At $4, why not just buy one and see what you think?

The only unbanded My Father bundled sticks I know of at this time are the Little Havana Overruns, which are actually pretty decent cigars. But more recently there have been several online retailers who've been advertising unbanded MF-factory bundles (I've not had any yet myself). Now that the Garcias' bundle factory is up and running, you'll probably see more cheap stuff from them ... like the new L'Atalier bundles.

The term "seconds" is thrown around a lot and is used to describe things that aren't really inferior cigars pulled from production because they don't meet appearance or length standards.

That being said, I know of at least a few retailers who will close out a brand by taking the bands off and selling the cigars naked.

As for why unbanded bundles and what they're made from, it varies tremendously. Without doubt, the tobacco is not as high grade or fermented and aged as long. Typically, the wrappers in particular are leaves that didn't make the grade for banded, brand-name smokes. It could be cosmetic, it could be texture or any of many reasons that may or may not dramatically affect the taste.
A blanket statement like the bolded just seems dangerous and not true. Tatuaje Miami FFs are one of a few things that come to mind where the tobacco fermentation and quality wasn't the issue.
You're right, of course. But I'm sure ghe wasn't talking about premium "FF" type cigars, or ELOs, or Pork Tenderloins (bundle, no band), etc. So although you certainly can't say that just because a cigar comes in a bundle or without a band it's inferior ... if you are talking about true "bundled" cigars like the "Little Havana Overruns," It think it's safe to say that they typically use 2nd and 3rd-grade tobacco. That's doesn't mean they don't burn or taste good, of course.

Last edited:

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I've had a few Alec Bradley seconds that weren't bad. They weren't the specific "brands" I was expecting, but still not bad.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Thanks, this really answers my question. Also, thanks for all the other replies.

I smoke at most one or two sticks a week, so I'm rarely on the lookout for no-frills budget smokes like this one. Funny thing is that I wish I had gotten one for some reason. The big cabinet they came in just looked so cool.
hey, just out of curiosity, do you have pix of that cabinet? sounds familiar...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hey, just out of curiosity, do you have pix of that cabinet? sounds familiar...
If I make it back to Ft Lee and they still have them, then I will snap a pic for you.

It's just a plain wood cabinet with a sliding top. Maybe 100 cigars inside?

ghe

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NJStone is exactly right. I thought it was pretty clear from the context that I was referring to the cheap bundles, many of which are a staple of the big catalog retailers. Those Tats were without bands because Pete Johnson didn't want the Cojonu name on them. And as I recall they were around $8 or so. Nothing like the bundle smokes I was writing about.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
The Man O War seconds are quite good.... And from the size, appearance and flavor they appear to be true seconds of the same blend. Really good for the golf course.