What's new

Gentleman Jack Daniels

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
There are some whiskey drinkin' lushes on this board, I can see a group buy already :rofl:
If any of ya'll are seriously interested in doing that just let me know. One of my co-workers has done this in the past (twice actually) and is on a first name basis with the master distiller at JD. You have to buy through a distributor/ABC/Bottle store though and I don't believe they will split shipments up over multiple states. The name plates they put on the bottles are pretty cool. Maybe some "BotL" bottles.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The barrels are the small ones not normal size. I think he got around 100 or so bottles per.

$50 per bottle actually isn't that bad. It'd just be getting that many people on board that would be tough. I'm actually close enough I could drive down to get it but we'd have to have some serious interest to do something like that. Not to mention they make it and age it after you order so we'd be looking at around a year.

If I were a rich lush I'd be eating that shit up but alas I am but a poor Network Engineer.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Well, keep in mind you'd probably get at least a few people that would take multiple bottles. Though, surprisingly, it really is in the 250 bottle range which will make it much more difficult:

Your barrel of whiskey will then be hand bottled in elegant 750 ml decanters that bear Mr. Jack's signature in raised glass. Each barrel yields around 240 bottles of whiskey. We say "around " because, just as the character of each barrel, the contents of no two barrels is precisely the same. A personalized neck medallion announces that this whiskey was bottled exclusively for you. In addition, a special label bearing your barrel number, the barrelhouse rick number and the bottling date marks your whiskey as one of a kind.

You'll also be presented with the actual barrel from which your whiskey has drawn its character, along with a brass plaque and a framed certificate of ownership.

Securing your own personal stock of Jack Daniel's whiskey is a rare investment. The total price will depend on your barrel's yield and local taxes. However, you can expect to pay between $35 and $40 per bottle. The barrel price will range from $8400 to $9600
Here's the web site.

Also pricier than we thought, unless the real cost runs more like $5K if you know someone and the above is just to discourage the casually curious. At $35-$40 a bottle it won't be a problem finding people who want one, but getting enough people to take enough bottles might be an issue. Without any problem I would be in for 3-4 bottles assuming the pricing above is correct. Of course all of this is on pure speculation that this stuff is that good. I've never even had GJ or any Jack Single Barrel so if I could manage a taste of something similiar it might convince me to go more...given the right leadtime of course.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
If any of ya'll are seriously interested in doing that just let me know. One of my co-workers has done this in the past (twice actually) and is on a first name basis with the master distiller at JD. You have to buy through a distributor/ABC/Bottle store though and I don't believe they will split shipments up over multiple states. The name plates they put on the bottles are pretty cool. Maybe some "BotL" bottles.

Can you do some discreet checking on what the real price would be? At $5K I think we could actually have a shot at getting this done...beyond that, I just don't know.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
At $5k, I'd be in for 5 bottles. It'd be nice to get a BOTL nameplate for them and all.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I figure at 5K we'll need about 20-30 people. I'm sure some people will take quite a few bottles while others will want one or two. I think that's doable. 8-9K is a whole other ball game though.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I can see what I can do on getting the price down around that mark. I'll talk with the person who I know gets that price. Whether or not they can get that price for me is another story. I'd be in for 5 bottles so long as it doesn't exceed 50 per.

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Sorry guys but the 9,000 range is closer. Plus my bud spent a weekend in the whole process. (tour of the distillery, stayed at the master distiller's home, sampling of the different barrels to select from). After the trip he said they were well over 10,000.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
That's still not horrible per bottle assuming 240 bottles from the barrel, but getting that many people (likely 75-100) is going to be next to impossible, especially from just here. Plus then you have the issue of distribution and shipping to deal with.