Genuine Counterfeit Cuban Robusto

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Genuine Counterfeit Cuban Robusto
Orgin: NIC
Size: 5" x 50 ring
Price: $1.60(box price from JR's divided by 25)
Total smoke time: approx 1 hours

Still working my way through the gifted smokes I've received and today was the GCC Robusto. I've heard some good things about the Pre-Embargo version of this cigar so I was looking forward to it. Very box pressed with a double cap (the "top" cap looked barely applied, but the "secondary" cap was well applied and extended down 1/8-1/4 of an inch). Very dark wrapper with some slight veins. The smell was muted but the pre-light draw was a pleasant tobacco taste. Draw was perfect. It took more than I'm used to getting it going, but that could have been due to the strong breeze blowing through.

As much as I was looking forward to this, it was disappointing. I don't know if it's because the Pre-Embargos are so much better, or that I just don't "get" these smokes. The burn, though not horrible, tended to canoe (leaving one whole "side" (as they are box pressed) unburnt) quite a bit. Draw remained perfect, but the taste was either off or just not there. In a word, boring. The first few puffs were almost bitter/sour, and once past the first inch there was just nothing there to grab my attention. :dunno:

Obviously this is just one cigar, but I won't be searching these out any time soon.

gonz

RKBA
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Ahh, so often the case.
I was curious about these myself. I guess you can't expect much for that price eh?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was give a partial box of these from my father in law when i first started (actually we both first started).

I think they were 'ok' didnt have much burn issues, but have had a couple canoe.. For the first few months, i had one of these every couple weeks or so, as my tastes were still developing. But i moved on to better smokes. I have handed quite a few of these out to my friends who want to try a smoke, all of them have really like it (none of which are cigar smokers) so basically this was thier first.. all have liked it, and requested it the next time...

So all in all, i think its a good newbie smoke, but once you have had the more expensive smokes out there.. you wont go back.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
These aren't great, not bad either. I just don't smoke enough to buy them anymore though.