What's new

German Shorthaired Pointer

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
Looking at getting a new dog and have been a fan of this breed for a long time. They seem to be really loyal and great with kids and existing pets. Anyone out there have any experience with them good or bad?

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
friends of mine have a Hungarian Havanese... Amazing dog. Very cool bread. Great with kids.

I have only had experience with the best breed ever.... A chow/ retriever mutt....

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
They are fantastic with kids! We had one when I was growing up and that dog was my best friend. She let me take food out her bowl while she ate (I didn't know better), I pulled her tail and drove all my toy cars over her while she slept, and all that kid stuff.

Just beware, they have a crapton of energy and always want to be outside chasing wildlife. She would get out at any opportunity she could and she'd bring back her "catch."

Loved that dog.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a GSP. Sadie Mae. She was the runt of the litter. She's 45 lbs now and is smarter than many people that I know. LOL. She's as happy laying on the couch as she is chasing a ball or running in the woods. I have 3 kids and there are quite a few kids in the neighborhood that come over and she's great with them all. Very protective of the kids too. I can rough-house with my own kids and she'll get upset and bark, growl and try to get me, in a playful type of way. Get one. You'll be glad you did.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
GSPs can make great family pets. Just keep in mind they're bred for hunting and so have energy out the wazoo, but they train well. And if the kids play with him/her a lot (I'm thinking this is what you're going for) then they should tire each other out nicely :thumbsup:. A lot of how well any dog does around kids/other pets is how they're raised.

Dan

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
We have a shorthair dachshund beagle mix now and they are the same. Bathe them regularly and it hasn't been an issue. I imagined the GSH would be the same.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male. He is the best dog I have ever had. I take him everywhere with me. He loves the kids and is very friendly. He loves to be outside with us.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I've looked at this breed ALOT in the past but always settled for a Lab. I've had Labs my whole life and love my current Lab more than anything. My wife's only complaint is the shedding which can be crazy thick and everywhere. Makes me think about our next dog and breed but I love Labs so I'm not sure what will happen. I really like this dog alot to...I dunno.
Good luck bro with the new addition. Seems like a really good choice to me!

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
My cousin got a GSP for Christmas. They've only had it for a month so it's really too early to make any conclusions about the breed. But, based on the comments in this thread it seems like a legit dog as long as you take some time to drain their energy.

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
Thanks for all of the feedback. The deposit goes in today and we will get to pick the puppy in March. I'll post up some pictures when we actually get it.