What's new

Getting accurate RH numbers.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 tuppadores all using Boveda packs. One is full boxes that I’m using 69% packs. Another is flavored/ infused sticks with 65%. The other is a large pelican case with 4 65% 320g packs. I have Boveda butlers in all and they have all been calibrated with the calibration kit. However the ones with 65% read closer to 68-69%. And the ones with 69% are closer to advertised right around 70%.
I know that these are all within what is considered a good RH range. Temperatures are consistent between 67° on the low end and never more than 70°.
I know the packs can vary by 1% of stated but 68% is way more than 1%. Could it be dud packs or am I just being too anal about the readings. Also the butler has a stated range of +\- 2.4% RH.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have the same experience with the 65's. That's why I dry box most of what I want to smoke with 62s for a couple of weeks. I've gotten so lazy with this stuff I'm at the point I just aim for consistency and don't fret a couple of percentage points humidity as long as I'm not getting great swings. I'm assuming all you cigars have been in the tupperdoors for a couple of months and you haven't been adding wet cigars or doing anything that might throw off your readings.

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
If your collection is young and hasn't had a chance to stabilize, it's likely that your sticks were stored at a higher RH before you got them, and the RH will come down on it's own in time. To test this try putting your hygrometer in a container with the Boveda alone and see what it reads.

It could be inaccuracy in the hygrometer itself. Try swapping them between containers and see if you get consistent results.

It could be mislabeled or defective Boveda packs. It's rare, and hard to prove that it is actually the case, but I'm convinced this has happened to me before.

It could be that is just where it's going to stabilize given ambient factors, container seal, etc. Use lower RH packs to stabilize it where you want to be.

Also, you're probably being too anal about it. I used to fret about a percentage point or 2 when I was a noob, hygrometers everywhere, always checking calibration, etc. Then I stopped paying so much attention to them and just left the Bovedas to do their thing. Then the batteries in my hygrometers started to die and I never replaced them. Now I just don't care unless my sticks are smoking poorly. If you have sticks that simply refuse to burn decently after a reasonable rest period, try dry boxing as Boudie suggested. If that helps, make it a regular prcatice, or store those sticks at a lower RH so they're always good to go.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I don’t even bother with a hygro anymore. Use Boveda, and save the rest of the space for cigars.

Also, welcome to BOTL - maybe head over to the intro section and say hi? The place has been a little dead lately but there’s still lots of good dudes here

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your collection is young and hasn't had a chance to stabilize, it's likely that your sticks were stored at a higher RH before you got them, and the RH will come down on it's own in time. To test this try putting your hygrometer in a container with the Boveda alone and see what it reads.
My collection has been growing very quickly but I have reached a point where I need to smoke some before I purchase any more. Would it be a good practice to put new acquisitions into a sealed Tupperware without Boveda packs for a couple days to allow them to come down in RH a little? I have noticed spikes when I add 15 or 20 new ones.

YamRZ350

Wrench Thrower
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Boveda packs work both ways, pulling excess humidity out of "wet" cigars and adding humidity when needed. There's no good reason to store cigars in a sealed container and not use them. (Or some type of 2 way humidity control)