What's new

Getting Ready for Winter Already?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's about that time of year for me where I start thinking about getting the cars ready for winter. The weather is crazy here and if I don't get a jump on a couple things I could miss my chance. Step 1, for me, is to get a good winter wax going. I have to admit that I'm a serious wimp when it comes to cold weather, so I will usually call off waxing due to cold before it would ever really affect wax application.
I wanted to throw out a wax suggestion to anyone else living where winter roads get grimy and salty, Collinite 476s, also known as Super Doublecoat. I used it for the first time last September, with hopes of getting another coat on before winter really hit. Well, I wasn't able to reapply after the first 2 coats, but I don't think it really needed it. I could see some tight beading all winter long and all the junk that gets flung off the tires seemed to fall right off any time I was parked long enough for some fresh snow to "wash" down the car.
The Super Doublecoat might have a couple drawbacks, depending on your needs. Application and removal is a bit more difficult than other waxes I've used, generally from the Meguiar's lineup. No power tools for me, so that might not even be an issue for those who use them. Nothing that is a deal breaker, but depending on the individual it could be more hassle than they'd like. Also, all that protection does come with an ever so slightly lower quality shine. I have a very light color paint, and it looks more like the car was just washed well, no real nice freshly waxed sparkle, if that makes sense. Time between coats also seems to need longer than previous products I have used. I have read some folks with dark paint report that when applying more than one coat within a too short of time span the wax will "smear" itself, making the car look hologramed. Again though, not too much of an issue for my light paint. The wife has a dark red car, but last year I tested her's with a different wax. She'll be getting the Collinite this year as well.
Anyway, if you're looking for some serious winter paint protection, give this stuff a shot. Priced slightly above your average waxes, but not crazy expensive like some "designer" waxes out there.