What's new

Getting started with pipes.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@braden Vulcanite or ebonite is a material obtained by vulcanizing rubber. It is some sort of plastic, but nothing compared to cheaper modern injection plastic. Your savinelli stem is certainly of great quality. Those are good pipes. Congrats and enjoy.

This dog is jealous. ;)
I have a Savinelli as well, albeit a different model, I know what you mean about the stem seeming plastic.

It may be a resin vs plastic, which is a higher quality material than plastic. It could be vulcanite,but I don't think so either

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
After 3 hours of reading about pipes here I did it. 3 cob pipes and 3 tins of baccy. Dunhill night cap, war horse and Davidoff flake medallions, a tamper and a pipe lighter. All in for less than $50. I will definitely try (real hard) to start slow. Damn what just happened?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
After 3 hours of reading about pipes here I did it. 3 cob pipes and 3 tins of baccy. Dunhill night cap, war horse and Davidoff flake medallions, a tamper and a pipe lighter. All in for less than $50. I will definitely try (real hard) to start slow. Damn what just happened?
You have been pushed down the slopes of piping......lol.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started as well with a Big Ben College Starter and so far I am having difficulty keeping the pipe lit. I have a decent draw but I also am not able to draw much smoke either. Am I missing something?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I just started as well with a Big Ben College Starter and so far I am having difficulty keeping the pipe lit. I have a decent draw but I also am not able to draw much smoke either. Am I missing something?

Tobacco might be too wet. Next time if you have some tobacco that's like that let it sit out for a bit to dry up a little and that should help. With piping it's ok to have re-lights. It's like the opposite of cigars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tobacco might be too wet. Next time if you have some tobacco that's like that let it sit out for a bit to dry up a little and that should help. With piping it's ok to have re-lights. It's like the opposite of cigars.

Thanks for the tip. I did notice when emptying that bowl that there was more moisture than I had thought at the bottom. Guess I was in too much of a hurry to get piping.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thanks for the tip. I did notice when emptying that bowl that there was more moisture than I had thought at the bottom. Guess I was in too much of a hurry to get piping.

That could be it. I'm only a year maybe 2 down the piping slope too. So I'm fairly new. I'd say so that it was too wet. You'll see some tobaccos are packed like that when you open the bags or tins. You'll learn as you go and of course we're all here to help too!

Xingpao

Tobacco Whore
Rating - 100%
22   0   0

The pipe is just a journey. You didn't do anything wrong, you just learned one little thing. As you keep smoking ,it's just you and the pipe, and the great sense of learning and exploration and having a great time with it. Thats the nature of piping and i think what draws people to them as much as the wonderful variety of tastes.
Lovin' it over here...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When you have the tobacco in hand, pinch it in your fingers; if it takes shape and then falls apart, that's usually a good indicator of ready to smoke (for me). If however, when you pinch it, it sticks together and doesn't come apart on its own it's still too wet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
When you have the tobacco in hand, pinch it in your fingers; if it takes shape and then falls apart, that's usually a good indicator of ready to smoke (for me). If however, when you pinch it, it sticks together and doesn't come apart on its own it's still too wet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Never would've thought about that until I saw this post. You learn something new everyday. Thanks for sharing that bit of information. (y)