What's new

Getting wrapper leaf edges properly conditioned

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrapper leaf prep is as follows:

Count out the proper number of wrapper leaves for the upcoming rolling session.Gently unfold and spray each side twice. Stack leaves on top of each other and place into a plastic bag for 24 hours.

when I begin a wrapping session I will fillet the leaves into halves and remove the stems

The problem i have is the edges never get sufficiently hydrated. I end up holding the body of the leaf with one hand, holding the edge flat with the other hand and cutting the display edge with my third hand..... You get the idea. I believe the stem is acting as the primary transport system for moisture to the lamina. Unfortunately, the pathways along the edge are very fine because they are meant to transport moisture the other way... to the stem.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've had this problem. I just focus on getting the spray onto the edges before they go into the plastic bag to rest. Seems to work.
Also, maybe you're being stingy with the amount you cut off the outer edge????

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting video on the conditioning chamber. Of course your leaf going into the chamber looks flatter than mine. Is that how you receive your wrapper leaf or is there a process before the start of the video?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
interesting video on the conditioning chamber. Of course your leaf going into the chamber looks flatter than mine. Is that how you receive your wrapper leaf or is there a process before the start of the video?

Wrapper is apt to arrive all squiggled up like so:

Before I rack it in the conditioning chamber, I am apt to tickle the leaf out so that it stretches like so:

Before it comes out of the chamber, I am apt to remove the center stem, which will enable me to tickle it out much flatter for a couple more hours.

Typical wrapper leaves are squiggly & stringy things, it's true. The FX Smith's CT shade which you see in the video came to me already de-stemmed and flattened, but rolled into loose wads many years ago, each wad holding about 25 wrappers ready for use. Once you carefully remove a half-leaf from its wad, you get a fairly flat thing as shown in the vid. The other leaf in the vid is an Indonesian wrapper, which I also got from FX Smith's Sons. Those come already marvelously flat, but in a whole leaf state. Only thing there is, it's a real chore unsticking each leaf from its neighbor.

As with so much in this imperfect world, the best advice anyone can give is to engage whatever proportion of the least common of the senses that you have been blessed with, and go git 'er done therewith.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aahhhh I see FW Smith wads. I've heard about these mythcal beasts Leaf that was shipped for an event that never happened, if memory serves.

Perhaps I'll look in to a conditioning chamber step in between my misting and rolling steps.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip. I didn’t know I needed to place them in a plastic bag for 24 hours. I hope it will help me make better cigars!
There are so many nuances about making cigars I don’t know, and I see I still need to learn a lot to at least make some for myself. Thankfully I have a lot of wooden bags plus standup bags in the household and will actively use them for making new, better cigars.
I want it to become my hobby and maybe my retirement job. I think I will not be able to save a lot of money for retirement and will have to work at least a bit to make a better living.

Last edited: