What's new

Gifted Fauxhiba's

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I did a side job last weekend replacing a house full of windows for a super nice couple. We did a lot of talking while I was working and it turns out the husband likes cigars. Naturally the conversation turned to Cuban cigars and he was telling me he had a "Miami Connection". I didn't say anything about the possibility of fakes. Anyway, the last day of the job I brought him a couple nice Habanos. As I was getting ready to leave he proudly hands me two Cohiba's. I accepted them graciously of course, but even at a glance they didn't look right. They appeared to be Siglo V's but when I got home and checked them against MRN they are the right RG but are about 1/4" too long. The tobacco actually smells pretty good but it's lacking that distictive cuban aroma and the wrapper is a much lighter shade than any Cohiba's I have. An odd thing is that they do have triple caps.
The band is a definite giveaway. The gold lettering is wrong, flat rather than raised and a little oddly shaped. Also the gold rectangular border around Cohiba is much wider than the real deal.
I've wrestled with whether or not to let him know since he really is a great guy and I hate to see him getting ripped off. I've decided to not bust his bubble, especially since he was so proud to give them to me. I appreciate the gesture. I guess if we were to become friends I might enlighten him but as it is I'll let it lie.
What would you do?

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Damn it is always a tough position. It often depends on how you would think the person would react if you let them know about the fakes.

I would usually try to let them know, and possibly hook them up with some real ones like you did.

If you don't tell him he is going to continue to get fakes from Miami. If you let him know about the fakes he might get pissed off. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Miami has a bunch of non-cuban cigars made locally that are excellent... maybe you should hint upon one of those factories like perdomo, tatuaje, la gloria cubana. You just have to do a little research as to the name of the factory but most of them are in little havana I think.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I came across this same problem recently. In a trade from another board I received a clear fake. It wasn't even a good fake. I presented it to the trader to let him know his source was no good for his future benefit. I wanted nothing in return. He got a bit mad but it was clearly a fake. We still talk and he now uses my vendor. I always believe truth is the best policy.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Personally, I wouldn't tell him. If he gets interested in cigars a lot, I'd point him to this forum and he will eventually learn the truth. Some people can be real touchy about their cigars and might feel sort of jaded if you proclaim it to be fake. So kinda like Tom said, damned if you do and damned if you don't.

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
I too was gifted some Cohibas this week by a client from Mexico. He knew I liked habanos and brought me a 5 pack of Coronas Especiales. The packaging was perfect, the bands were perfect, and the price tag on the box was in line with the going rate for these smokes. I decided to smoke one on the ride home. The first thing I noticed was the construction of the cigar was suspect but not bad so I thought.....well maybe. Then the taste just wasn't right. Cuban tobacco but not the flavor this cigar should have. The next day I got to looking around and if I am correct, the Especiales doesn't have a pigtail cap?? These do.
Anyone have any experience with these? Do they have a pigtail cap?
If they are fake as I suspect, there was quite the effort to counterfiet these.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
smokem94 said:
I too was gifted some Cohibas this week by a client from Mexico. He knew I liked habanos and brought me a 5 pack of Coronas Especiales. The packaging was perfect, the bands were perfect, and the price tag on the box was in line with the going rate for these smokes. I decided to smoke one on the ride home. The first thing I noticed was the construction of the cigar was suspect but not bad so I thought.....well maybe. Then the taste just wasn't right. Cuban tobacco but not the flavor this cigar should have. The next day I got to looking around and if I am correct, the Especiales doesn't have a pigtail cap?? These do.
Anyone have any experience with these? Do they have a pigtail cap?
If they are fake as I suspect, there was quite the effort to counterfiet these.
Mike, the Especiales DO NOT have a pigtail cap. Here is a good photo. I have some at home and they look exactly like this photo. They also come in individual boxes, one each per cigar. Bummer. Fakes are getting better all the time. I would not be surprised if the boxes and bands were real, just not the smokes. The only Cohiba I remember with a pigtail is the Lancero.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Fox said:
Mike, the Especiales DO NOT have a pigtail cap. Here is a good photo. I have some at home and they look exactly like this photo. They also come in individual boxes, one each per cigar. Bummer. Fakes are getting better all the time. I would not be surprised if the boxes and bands were real, just not the smokes. The only Cohiba I remember with a pigtail is the Lancero.
WRONG!

All Cohiba CE's I've purchased or was given have the pigtail. I have 3 boxes at home right now - two from very trusted vendors and one from a very trusted individual. Boxcodes are from 1999, 2001 and 2004.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
With regard to the original thread issue, I think I would tell the guy. Bring over your copy of MRN and some Cohibas you know are the real deal and show him why you think these are suspect.

Unless people are kept informed, then the scammers who sell fakes will keep flooding the market with this crap.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
The one's I have are from code CCUA. They are individual single boxes inside the 5 pack and indeed pigtailed from a very reputable vendor to remain nameless. Maybe the full box of 25 are not, but these are.

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I think both of you may be right. I looked in MRN and there's no pigtail. But I looked at a vendors website and there is a pigtail. MRN has old school bands and they don't have pigtails. Vendor pic has new band with a pigtail. Just one of those Cuban things I guess.

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Headbanger said:
The one's I have are from code CCUA. They are individual single boxes inside the 5 pack and indeed pigtailed from a very reputable vendor to remain nameless. Maybe the full box of 25 are not, but these are.
That could be a possibility there :dunno:

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
Thanks for the info........One clarification, they were in individual boxes inside a fiver box. Like I said, the bands, packaging, everything is perfect. They could be OK then, like I said, it is definitely Cuban tobacco and they could be young. I was just expecting more from a Cohiba.
I will try another in a few months and report back.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
tedski said:
With regard to the original thread issue, I think I would tell the guy. Bring over your copy of MRN and some Cohibas you know are the real deal and show him why you think these are suspect.

Unless people are kept informed, then the scammers who sell fakes will keep flooding the market with this crap.
I'm in total agreement. Frequency of contact should not bear on whether or not the truth be told. I would do as suggested by Ted. This is a great approach, educational. If this is allowed to continue, more fakes go out because this poor guy has not been educated by someone. In addition you could save him furture embarassment. If this guy gifts these fakes to a client and they know they are fakes it could affect him in that fashion as well.

Fear not the truth. You really are doing the guy a favor, just as he was doing you a favor by his generosity. Your turn to be generous with your time. I would hope anyone considering themselves a good BOTL would take the time to set me straight if I was in error or just ignorant.

My .02 :smokingbo

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I would tell him if you have the opportunity to meet him again. I wouldn't seek him out to tell him. Maybe, when he smokes the real Habanos you gave him, the light will go on for him, and he'll contact you.

P.S. Cash his check before you say anything :grin:

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
imho, id tell the guy. i know that if i were him, id be happy to find out i was getting scammed so i wouldnt keep doing it.

and yea, id definatly cash the check first... lol