What's new

Ginormous new humidor

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Picked up my new humidor yesterday. I knew it was big, but I was still a little shocked when I saw it in person. Wouldn't come close to fitting in my Explorer. Luckily I brought the trailer hitch caddy and a LOT of rope. 125 mile trip back to my house at 45 miles an hour made for a relaxing time to smoke a few cigars. :)

Overall it looks to be grade A on the inside and grade B on the outside. All the shelves were there and in great shape. There is an electrical receptacle at the bottom of the humi to plug in an active humidification system and a switch for presumably the lights. Looks like damn good craftsmanship inside. A few scratches on the outside here and there but no biggie.

A couple things: It came with a Moist-n-Aire that looks to be in pretty good shape. I'm going to give it a chance to prove itself before I spend money on a different system. I'm going to put new weatherstripping at the edges where the glass doors seal. They slide quite nicely and seem to seal pretty damn good but the weatherstripping looks old. Quick $5 fix. Also, it has lights in the top that shine down through a (currently broken) translucent tile like you'd see in any drop ceiling. Not sure what I'm going to do with this. Guess I should see how hot the lights feel when on for a bit. I could easily seal up the top and go with no light, but if it the light doesn't run too hot (not like I'd leave it on for more than a minute or two anyway) I'll leave it as is. I also need to get the lock mechanism replaced as this one came with no keys.

Here's what I am starting with. Hope to have it in the house and plugged in and stabilizing in a few days.

Attachments

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Nice, send me any info that you have on the lock and I'll see what I can do. If you have a manufacture name and number, as a licensed locksmith I can order you keys. A close up pic will do wonders. Worse case scenario I can get you a replacement lock. Might cost you close to a 5¢. :eek:) PM me.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Sweet find, that's a long way to have that big of a unit hangin off the back hitch at that speed :)
I wouldn't have bet $5 that I would make it all the way back with no issues, but my other choice was to leave it and do the 5 hr round trip again with a pick-up. Somehow, it worked just fine...

GolfNut

Wineadors.com
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Sweet! Congrats on getting it home too. You might try going with LED lighting up top. Save on the heat issue and still be able to light it up.

Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Nice..

As for the lights, seal the top up and do not use the florecent... I would go with some LED lights. No heat at all IIRC.

Picked up my new humidor yesterday. I knew it was big, but I was still a little shocked when I saw it in person. Wouldn't come close to fitting in my Explorer. Luckily I brought the trailer hitch caddy and a LOT of rope. 125 mile trip back to my house at 45 miles an hour made for a relaxing time to smoke a few cigars. :)

Overall it looks to be grade A on the inside and grade B on the outside. All the shelves were there and in great shape. There is an electrical receptacle at the bottom of the humi to plug in an active humidification system and a switch for presumably the lights. Looks like damn good craftsmanship inside. A few scratches on the outside here and there but no biggie.

A couple things: It came with a Moist-n-Aire that looks to be in pretty good shape. I'm going to give it a chance to prove itself before I spend money on a different system. I'm going to put new weatherstripping at the edges where the glass doors seal. They slide quite nicely and seem to seal pretty damn good but the weatherstripping looks old. Quick $5 fix. Also, it has lights in the top that shine down through a (currently broken) translucent tile like you'd see in any drop ceiling. Not sure what I'm going to do with this. Guess I should see how hot the lights feel when on for a bit. I could easily seal up the top and go with no light, but if it the light doesn't run too hot (not like I'd leave it on for more than a minute or two anyway) I'll leave it as is. I also need to get the lock mechanism replaced as this one came with no keys.

Here's what I am starting with. Hope to have it in the house and plugged in and stabilizing in a few days.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Nice..

As for the lights, seal the top up and do not use the florecent... I would go with some LED lights. No heat at all IIRC.
Yes and no. There is no heat output from the light, but they do generate a TON of heat overall. It's just not output in the same way as a typical light.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Did you happen to find that on the Indianapolis Craigslist? I saw an ad on there the other day for a cabinet humi and they wanted an offer. Went back on there today and it's gone. Just wondered...