What's new

Glock 22 vs 23

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I am thinking about getting a new pistol and have decided on either the G22 or G23. I know the G22 is a bit bigger but I dont plan on carring it a lot. This pistol will primarily be for the home/pleasure shooting. Any thoughts?

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
it's only a 2 bullet difference! i love the 22. carry it nearly every day! the balance is amazing!! i carry the 23 off-duty or as a backup. it took a little more time to get used to, just because it's smaller. the real difference is in the grip. i'd go for the 22!

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
It's a coin toss to me-both are great guns, but I perfer the 23, much better if you ever need to be able to carry it and I think they are easier to sell or trade than the 22 down the road. From working at a gun store I'll say the smaller size is more popular, at least in Florida. If you are looking to save money look for a used 22, they are lots of them turned in from police departments out there and the prices are good.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
It's a coin toss to me-both are great guns, but I perfer the 23, much better if you ever need to be able to carry it and I think they are easier to sell or trade than the 22 down the road. From working at a gun store I'll say the smaller size is more popular, at least in Florida. If you are looking to save money look for a used 22, they are lots of them turned in from police departments out there and the prices are good.
Good idea! I had not thought about looking for one used. I would assume gun shows would be the way to acquire these?

JDP

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Eventually you'll probably have all three sizes. :grin: I would recomend trying each of them out if you can. If you aren't going to carry it I would suggest the getting the full size now and the sub compact when you want to carry.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Eventually you'll probably have all three sizes. :grin: I would recomend trying each of them out if you can. If you aren't going to carry it I would suggest the getting the full size now and the sub compact when you want to carry.
You don't get much for the extra size and weight in my opinion with the Glock 22. The 23 does the job of the service pistol and concealed carry pistol very well, Israel’s special forces uses the Glock 19 (9mm Compact= Glock 23).

But, the 22 doesn’t do the job of a concealed carry pistol well and it is at best only a hair better as a service pistol. If you end up needing to carry, there is a good chance you will not have time to go shopping, you will have to deal with what you have. First purchase-I’d go with the dual role pistol.

If you think you will never need to carry, here is what I pitch to my friends and family:

You never know when your wife’s coworker will turn into a stalker, when a natural event will take out power, cell phone towers and phone lines making calling the police useless, when you find out you have to go get your drunk son at 3AM from the worst part of town. This stuff doesn’t come with a warning, so get a firearm you can conceal and a permit to carry it. If you wait intil you need it, it will be too late to do either. If you never carry even once it's cheap insurance.

Both my wife and I carry every single day, and we've had times we were dam glad we did.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Good idea! I had not thought about looking for one used. I would assume gun shows would be the way to acquire these?
In these times start with Pawn Shops and then gun stores and showes. Glocks are about bullet proof and just about all the upgrades are drop in parts, so I'd feel safe going used and getting a good weapon. Expecialy if it's a department hand in that gets armory inspected before going out to be sold.

If your not planning on a laser sight or light and don't need the under rail those can be had used at a good price. I'm a big fan of a mounted light though.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
You never know when your wife’s coworker will turn into a stalker, when a natural event will take out power, cell phone towers and phone lines making calling the police useless, when you find out you have to go get your drunk son at 3AM from the worst part of town. This stuff doesn’t come with a warning, so get a firearm you can conceal and a permit to carry it. If you wait intil you need it, it will be too late to do either. If you never carry even once it's cheap insurance.
Amen Mitch. I live by the attitude of I'd rather have something and not need it rather than need it and not have it!

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Great thoughts! After thinking about it I think the 23 is the way to go for me. I hope to get this before the end of the year. I have already applied for the carry permit, but TX has a huge backlog so no telling how long that will take. Thanks for all of the input.