What's new

Gluten Free Cigar?

Chubno

Old Fart
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just found out that I have a gluten problem and can not ever have gluten again. I need to find out what cigar company's use vegitable gum for the wrappers because it has gluten in it. If the company uses a fruit picten then it's good and I will not have any problem. Does any one know of a place where I can find this information.

Major BIG thanks

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is absolutely horrible dude!! A friend of mine is allergic to grain and can't have anything that has even fed on grain.

I have no idea where to find that info, but I hope you do find it, and I hope that there are makers out there that do use fruit pectin, good luck brother

iPhone5 from tapatalk sent was this.

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I would imagine if you contact your cigar manufactures they would be able to let you know if it is contains gluten. Even if you get one answer you would have a general idea. I would imagine the pectin doesn't change all that much from manufacture to manufacture.

Rating - 100%
152   0   0
I've heard that most major brands use vegetable glue as the industry standard, which in fact does contain gluten as you mentioned. You may have better luck with custom rolled sicks, or maybe a pipe?

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
You could always just peel the wrapper off, and enjoy whichever cigar you wanted, since that is the only part that comes into contact with a pectin, or "glue."
Actually, only a little bit of the foot and the cap are the only places pectin is used.
So would cigars with the caps that you can twist off be an option for him Craig? Forget it I guess there would still be some on the foot.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Wow... Are gluten allergies really that bad... I guess I just figured they were minor. That's crazy, I feel for you man.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Wow I hope that they are gluten free cause if not that is some serious bad luck.

Hoping for the best brother.

Sent from my Tapatalk 2 using iPhone. Bahahahaha ass backwards.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
You could always just peel the wrapper off, and enjoy whichever cigar you wanted, since that is the only part that comes into contact with a pectin, or "glue."
Actually, only a little bit of the foot and the cap are the only places pectin is used.
So would cigars with the caps that you can twist off be an option for him Craig? Forget it I guess there would still be some on the foot.
I am not sure what his options are. I would just take a newbie hack off each end and keep it movin, lol

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I suggested removing the entire wrapper instead of just the foot, and head for two reasons:

1. Some cigar rollers use the pectin a bit far in on the outer rim of the wrapper. Not the entire cigar length, but further than one would want to cut off, and
2. Every cigar I've ever seen rolled, after the pectin part is complete, the roller runs his/her fingers, and hands all over the cigar without washing his/her hands, thus getting trace amounts of pectin all over the wrapper.

Obviously there are some exceptions to both of these, but since he is not allowed to have any gluten at all, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I was on the same page as Craig with lobbing off a decent chuck of the head, but then I remembered in video seeing them run their hands up in down the wrapper at times checking it out.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I guess the question that I would have is do you have a Gluten allergy an intolerance or is it full fledged Celiac disease?

If it's just an allergy or intolerance then small amounts of gluten are OK and you should be fine since I can't imagine that the amount of gluten that you would potentially ingest from smoking a cigar would be significant. My guess would be that one slice of bread would probably equal the amount you would consume through your saliva by smoking 100+ cigars?

If you have been diagnosed with Celiac disease then it is another issue. Celiac patients need to eliminate all gluten from their diets.

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I guess the question that I would have is do you have a Gluten allergy an intolerance or is it full fledged Celiac disease?

If it's just an allergy or intolerance then small amounts of gluten are OK and you should be fine since I can't imagine that the amount of gluten that you would potentially ingest from smoking a cigar would be significant. My guess would be that one slice of bread would probably equal the amount you would consume through your saliva by smoking 100+ cigars?

If you have been diagnosed with Celiac disease then it is another issue. Celiac patients need to eliminate all gluten from their diets.
This was my thought too.

TapaDeezNuts

Chubno

Old Fart
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Yes, it's celiac disease. I was thinking about asking a roller in our area to put new wrappers on some of my cigars for me. I feel bummed because I know the flavor profile will not be the same.