What's new

God bless you Whitney

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As I posted about this on Facebook, the way the media handles this is making it into a joke. They were calling it "a tragedy", which I disagree. It's unfortunate any time someone passes at an early age, but a drug addict dying isn't what I would consider a "tragedy". To me a tragedy is a young soldier dying for his country, their names will remain unheard. Also what got me was "we lost one of our great national treasures". Which just kills me that we consider a pop singer from decades ago a "national treasure". Are we really that vain that we consider a person with a pretty voice as a "national treasure"? And last, but not least, "a shocking death". Are you really shocked that someone with over a decade long history of abusing drugs passes away?

And I don't mean to speak ill of the dead, that is not my intentions. I know Ms. Houston had her problems, she is only human. But the way the media is desperately milking this womans death for all it is worth, I can't help but feel like our society is going down the toilet.

That being said, it's unfortunate she had to pass away. Rest in peace...
I tend to agree with what you said written in bold. The media likes to turn these things into a circus where they adhere to the motto..."If it bleeds it leads" and for the media to descend on this story is like buzzards getting their next meal. Ms Houston had her demons as most of humanity itself deals with their own...she was just a higher profile for everybody to target and have an opinion. There are far too many others that the news should focus on..heroes that give their lives for others...people who do good deeds and are never appreciated for their kindness. It's a sad world indeed that makes sorrow and death the first thing that is talked about and underscored for others to read and make their own opinions.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) – Flags will be lowered in New Jersey Saturday, the day of Whitney Houston’s funeral. But a Marine mom in Arlington says it’s an honor Houston doesn’t deserve.

When Phyllis McGeath heard Gov. Chris Christie had ordered flags lowered to half-staff for Houston, she said she felt a pain deep inside her.

“I was hurt and offended. Disappointed. Saddened,” she said. “I felt like the honor that was given to my son was tarnished.”

McGeath had three sons who were active duty Marines.

Her oldest, Philip, was killed by a suicide bomber just four weeks ago in Afghanistan. He was 25.

“They killed my son.They took his body away from me,” she said, overcome by emotion.

Arizona, the McGeath’s former home state, lowered their flags in his honor.

“That honor meant a lot to me,” McGeath said.

McGeath says Houston is not deserving of that same honor.

“Nothing against Ms. Houston because she was a beautiful singer and I was a fan for years,” McGeath said.

But, “It was like putting them on the same level. And I know how my son lived. And I know through the media how Ms. Houston lived,” she said.

New Jersey’s Governor, Chris Christie, defended his decision to lower the flags in his state saying he wasn’t honoring Houston as a role model but as “a daughter of New Jersey.”

Christie is a conservative Republican. He’s also a former U.S. Attorney who recently called for mandatory drug treatment for non-violent offenders. But he said Houston’s substance abuse issues shouldn’t negate her achievements.

“There but for the grace of God go I,” he said.

Federal law authorizes governors of American states to order flags lowered to half-staff for state officials or residents who’ve died.

There is no law or rule that requires the person being honored to have been a politician or a service member.

Christie approved a similar order when Bruce Springsteen’s E Street Band member Clarence Clemons died last June.

Thinking about the recent death of her Marine son, McGeath said, “It frustrates me all the attention this one lady is being given for dying. When our son died, it was initially a one liner in the newspaper.”

Houston also sang the National Anthem in 1991 to returning Gulf War service members. But for Phyllis McGeath singing and fighting on the front lines are two very different things.

“My son gave his life,” she said. “He gave his life.”

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) – Flags will be lowered in New Jersey Saturday, the day of Whitney Houston’s funeral. But a Marine mom in Arlington says it’s an honor Houston doesn’t deserve.

When Phyllis McGeath heard Gov. Chris Christie had ordered flags lowered to half-staff for Houston, she said she felt a pain deep inside her.

“I was hurt and offended. Disappointed. Saddened,” she said. “I felt like the honor that was given to my son was tarnished.”

McGeath had three sons who were active duty Marines.

Her oldest, Philip, was killed by a suicide bomber just four weeks ago in Afghanistan. He was 25.

“They killed my son.They took his body away from me,” she said, overcome by emotion.

Arizona, the McGeath’s former home state, lowered their flags in his honor.

“That honor meant a lot to me,” McGeath said.

McGeath says Houston is not deserving of that same honor.

“Nothing against Ms. Houston because she was a beautiful singer and I was a fan for years,” McGeath said.

But, “It was like putting them on the same level. And I know how my son lived. And I know through the media how Ms. Houston lived,” she said.

New Jersey’s Governor, Chris Christie, defended his decision to lower the flags in his state saying he wasn’t honoring Houston as a role model but as “a daughter of New Jersey.”

Christie is a conservative Republican. He’s also a former U.S. Attorney who recently called for mandatory drug treatment for non-violent offenders. But he said Houston’s substance abuse issues shouldn’t negate her achievements.

“There but for the grace of God go I,” he said.

Federal law authorizes governors of American states to order flags lowered to half-staff for state officials or residents who’ve died.

There is no law or rule that requires the person being honored to have been a politician or a service member.

Christie approved a similar order when Bruce Springsteen’s E Street Band member Clarence Clemons died last June.

Thinking about the recent death of her Marine son, McGeath said, “It frustrates me all the attention this one lady is being given for dying. When our son died, it was initially a one liner in the newspaper.”

Houston also sang the National Anthem in 1991 to returning Gulf War service members. But for Phyllis McGeath singing and fighting on the front lines are two very different things.

He won't make money for the state, sorry.

shadowcam

BoM April '14
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
She was a great singer. It is always sad to see someone die from such an unfortunate circumstance. That being said, what is six inches and didn't get sucked on Valentines Day? Witney Houston's crack pipe. R.I.P.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I met her twice in the nineties. She came in for dinner at a restaurant I was managing and she was very nice to me and my staff. I remember one night she joined in with a family singing "Happy Birthday" to their teenage daughter. The girl was elated and whispered to her mom "I think my wish just came true." She even bought a round of drinks for the entire restaurant staff on her third visit. Its too bad she went down the wrong road in life. May she rest in peace.

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
She was a great singer. It is always sad to see someone die from such an unfortunate circumstance. That being said, what is six inches and didn't get sucked on Valentines Day? Witney Houston's crack pipe. R.I.P.
Why would you even say RIP? You have no respect!

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0

Good post Bob...I understand how she feels.

I would lower my flag for someone like a Scientist or Doctor who benifited mankind but really the only time my flag is lowered to half staff, is for a national holiday, the death of a state service member, police, firecrew/first responder, and a family member. I feel bad for thoes who can't beat there addictions, especially thoes with such talent, but SORRY, I do not hold them in the same regard as I do for thoes who truly gave there life.

Last edited: