What's new

GOF Serie B maduro

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I'm not very good at reviews, sorry. Construction and taste are the most important aspects to a cigar, imo, so that's my focus. I didn't see any other reviews online, so here's my take:

This cigar is the toro size. They released a sungrown robusto as well. I have had a couple of both and the toro is better. The robo tastes like an Ashton VSG to me (which is not a complaint at all).

Construction: Perfect draw throughout. The typical Fuente glue factory residue was present when I removed the label. The wrapper is medium dark Brown and quite toothy with a few veins. I noted a couple of medium-sized stems in the filler. I personally don't like thick stems in the filler. I think it adds bitterness and limits draw. Not a problem here. This cigar heated-up with about an inch remaining. I let it rest for a few minutes and all was well again. My dog escaped from my backyard while I was smoking this...I captured him down the street and returned about 10 minutes later...no need to re-light. She was still ready to go.

Taste: This cigar had four or five distinct flavors that changed from time-to-time. I can't describe all of them, but pepper, leather and maple come to mind. some pepper on the front end disappeared about an inch in. I noticed that when I slowed down a bit, the maple came forward. The leather is always present in the background. One thing I notice about all of Fuente's expensive cigars is a smoothness that is really unique. Never any "sharp" flavors. The Serie B was aged for a couple of years before packaging, so maybe that is the key.

Overall: This was a 115 minute smoke for me. I would call this medium-full with strength increasing near the end. These run about $19 each. I think it's a very good cigar, but maybe $12 is more like it. If someone handed me an Anejo shark and one of these, I'd smoke the shark. I've been smoking GOF from the beginning (my beginning was 6 years ago). This one is as good as the other "Carlito" versions, but not worth what I consider an ultra-premium price.

Attachments

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
The GOF's are one of my favorite Fuente smokes made. I've only had a couple as I agree with you on the price....way to much! Thanks for the review!

TommyGunz

BoM June 2011
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I disagree with one aspect of your review, that is when you say "I am not very good at reviews". Solid job, Bro!

When you say maple, is it just the flavor of it or does it have the sweetness to it as well?

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Thanks Tommy. I assume the maple flavor I detect has to do with the maduro wrapper as I did not detect it in the sungrown version. I could also describe it as something like "woody vanilla" for lack of a more descriptive term. Not so much sweet, but the flavor was there. There were a couple of other nuances to this cigar that I really enjoyed, but i just can't put my finger on them.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Have one resting, just to be able to try out a GoF but the price is a bit steep. At least I can reference this while smoking it some day, thanks!