What's new

Going back to Afghanistan...Maybe

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Many of you may remember that I spent a year in Afghanistan as a civilian contractor. That was between June 2011 and July 2012. The opportunity has come up to go back again. I'm having trouble finding the current situation with respect to the number of bases, how active the Taliban is these days, and whether or not ISIS is active in the area.

Knowing how amazingly connected the brothers are here on BOTL, I'm wondering if any anyone can give me some intel or a sitrep.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I'm not sure what the troop count on the ground is but I remember after the last pull out.. Camp Leatherneck / Camp Bastion got taken over real fast. I'd ask who is providing the security to the base, if it's triple canopy doing it then you should be safe. Those guys are well equipped all the time. But if the security is provided by the Afghanistan army... Pass. Those guys are rocks.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
shoot @mdwest a PM. Not sure if he is doing any work with Afghan right now, but he might have some answers for you.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Ive got several contacts in Kabul, Kandahar, Jalalabad, and Herat.. government, military, and civilian..

Let me know what youre looking at.. where youre likely going to be... etc.. (in a PM) and Ill put you in touch with someone that is currently boots on the ground that would be in a good position to provide you with information..

(one of the founders of Triple Canopy is an old friend by the way... and a couple of their senior corporate guys are cigar smoking and beer drinking buddies when I visit DC... If you need a POC there.. let me know)..

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Aww yeah!! The members of BOTL come through again; not that I had any doubt. I knew there'd be some valuable insight from a few key brothers. BTW, I've already had a few PM transactions with a BOTL brother that has boots on the ground.

So this is gonna be interesting. I've bragged to numerous people over the years that the membrs of BOTL have the greatest conglomerate of knowledge and information as anyone, anything, any whatever...we know a couple things about a couple things.
That being said, I've got a buddy who's a 1st Sargent in the Marine Corp. He's stateside at the moment. But he's gonna give me his Intel on what the deal is. Boots on the ground, action areas, danger areas etc.

I also found out today that I'd be based out of BAF with limited travel to KAF and Jalalabad. There is slight potential for travel to FOBS to do remediation work. To what end I'm not sure other than to say that America did the right thing...but that's a whole separate subject.

Anyhow, gonna be interesting to see what my guy has to offer versus the collective BOTL information super store.

@mdwest ...pm incoming. I figured you'd have some input, and that's a good thing

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
The son of my right hand man at work is an infantry officer in the 101st, literally just came home from BAF less than 2 weeks ago...

Im pretty sure I can get you a good info dump on how things look there these days...

(the last time I was on BAF was 2010... had the best Dairy Queen in the country back then... one of the best DFAC's.. and a couple of outstanding gyms... not sure how it is today though.. but Ill start asking..)

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I was in BAF in 2012 for a couple days while rotating back to the States. The place is pretty damn big. The base started taking incoming, it was Christmas Day (Merry Fucking Christmas) but being as big as it was it wasn't a big deal where we were. DFAC was on point and they had some fast food joints. We were in transient billets but the folks that stayed there weren't living too bad. I think I remember buildings that resembled barracks. I'm sure the Civilians live even better. Good luck in your travels.

coppereagl

Not looking for trouble, but if it finds me....;)
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Aww yeah!! The members of BOTL come through again; not that I had any doubt. I knew there'd be some valuable insight from a few key brothers. BTW, I've already had a few PM transactions with a BOTL brother that has boots on the ground.

So this is gonna be interesting. I've bragged to numerous people over the years that the membrs of BOTL have the greatest conglomerate of knowledge and information as anyone, anything, any whatever...we know a couple things about a couple things.
That being said, I've got a buddy who's a 1st Sargent in the Marine Corp. He's stateside at the moment. But he's gonna give me his Intel on what the deal is. Boots on the ground, action areas, danger areas etc.

I also found out today that I'd be based out of BAF with limited travel to KAF and Jalalabad. There is slight potential for travel to FOBS to do remediation work. To what end I'm not sure other than to say that America did the right thing...but that's a whole separate subject.

Anyhow, gonna be interesting to see what my guy has to offer versus the collective BOTL information super store.

@mdwest ...pm incoming. I figured you'd have some input, and that's a good thing
Hope you get what your looking for! I hope the PMs helped, I am on BAF right now matter of fact! I hope the other guys can be a little more informative. Unfortunately Ive got to stay very vague, ole Mischman and my other service brothers can probably relate, the big Opsec eye in the interwebs lol.

But if you do arrive in BAF, hit me up well have an Afghan-Herf!

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
The score...
BOTL - 10
Inside Informant - 0
Thanks for the info gents. @mdwest...had a couple beers last night and didn't get to that PM. it's coming though.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Scoring update
BOTL 25
Inside Informant -5
Yep, he lost points, and he didn't even have any. I shared some of our (BOTL) Intel and he wanted in on the information flow.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Just wanted to give an update on this...I officially turned down the offer. The money wasn't right and it's not like I was looking for a job to begin with. That being said, thanks to all the brothers that off we ed up info and contacts. Very cool and vwe y much appreciated.

Final score: BOTL 25
Inside Informant 12. My guy did get me some time with his CO who turned out to be a really cool guy and well connected in AFG. He's also a wounded warrior who's still enlisted. He lost his right leg in 2008.

Nonetheless. BOTL WINS!!!!!!!! As I knew you would, you guys proved that you know more than the internet. And you're real!!!

Thanks again gents

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Great thread, I have no idea what you guys are taking about but it's great to see the wide range of help you can get here. Y'all are awesome and crazy.

@knw247